injector question

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine bought the truck I was looking at and wants to make it run better. It is a 94 five speed and motor is stock except for a plate another friend ground for it. I know nothing about 12v performance. Diesel shop wants to put in some 300 hp. marine injectors. What do you think? I was thinking #10 plate and some 3000 rpm springs with a 35-40 hybrid. Does this motor need diff injectors? Just looking for something that runs decent, well maybe real good.Thanks

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Before you do too much more he's gonna need a clutch. Depending upon how much and how often he tows he could get away with a 12" South Bend Clutch, or he might have to upgrade to a 13-1.25" South Bend.

300M's are ok, but he's gonna need a more air in there too. I was running a #10 & 300M's and with the plate centered things got hot QUICK! If your going to hybrid his turbo I'd go ahead and get the 370's which are the same price @ www.wildcatdiesel.com

The motor doesn't really *NEED* different injectors the stock 215's are fine. I have a buddy in Kentucky that has a #4 plate in a 96 and he dynoed 389HP with the plate full forward, stock 215 injectors, and the 4K springs.

I'd definately put the 3K springs in. BEST mod I did to my truck next to the plate (need a clutch for a plate). More usable RPM is a great thing to have. I don't know what size tires your buddy is running but I was running 33's with 3.55 gears and I was constantly going back and forth between 4th & 5th with gooseneck trailers on the back. 3K springs solved that!

One last thing. Ask the diesel shop about advancing the timing. I gained a solid 1.5mpg from advancing my timing, but mine had also slipped. Best place is @ 15.5* or 16* before top dead center. Also the *CORRECT* way to time a 12V CTD is with a dial indicator on the #1 delievery valve on the injection pump.

Hope everything I've said made sense. If it didn't please feel free to throw out more questions and myself as well as others will be happy to answer.

Last edited:

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks alot for info. Sounds like save some money on injectors and put some where else on truck.He's just looking for a decent running truck so I think what you said backs up what we are going to do.

bob4x4

Reaction score
The 94 is a 175 hp not a 215 the 175 injectors are a lot different from the 215s

Bob

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Originally posted by bob4x4
The 94 is a 175 hp not a 215 the 175 injectors are a lot different from the 215s

Bob

:idiot: DOH! I totally missed that fact because I was going into my info on my friends 96.

Yeah the 94's are a totally different beast. I would look to spend $$$ elsewhere cause another friend of mine in Ohio (user Dodgeman01 on here) has 370's in his 94 CTD and it cause's some "chugging" issues in lower RPM's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726