INJECTOR QUESTION

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
So i have been searching the forum and could not find a listing of the different injectors and which ones are better than others. I know from reading the BB code injectors are desirable but that's about it. I ask because i grabbed a set out of the shed my grandfather put away years ago for spares. they were pulled from a 91 NA that had 90k or so in it. The owner (crazy old koot) just wanted all new and my grandpa gladly did it taking the originals for himself. This is where my question comes in - there are 4 BB code C.A.V England injectors and 4 B code United Tech Italy injectors. My question is are these injectors even close and is there any possibility it came from the factory this way. The truck did have an ATS turbo on it, supposedly installed by the dealer back in the day. They were completely covered with anti-seize uniformly like they were all installed at the same time. Any input would be helpful. And i know i should have them tested before they go in, but funds are really tight right now and they were running perfect when they were pulled, so i would rather risk it with a proven set than a new (assembled by who knows) set from the parts store. Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As far as I know they are the same "type" being BB codes but from diffrant makers. Any injecter will fit and work in any idi engine. Be it a 6.9 turbo or not. Same goes for the turbo or non turbo 7.3 engines. Unfortantly the 91 trucks never came with a turbo no matter what you have been told. Now it COULD be a factory installed deal at some dealership too using all the Ford factory parts right down to the air filter saying ATSD and Ford togehter. But in 91 these factory ATS turbos were not offered yet. At least not fropm the factory. The BB code injecters is what we all know from many years of expiraments using the "turbo G codes" which were designed to clean up the nox problems with the idi engine.. Nothing more. They poped at 2100 lbs. We pop the other codes including the BB codes at 1850 lbs but some good results have been found upping that to 2100 or 2200 lbs.

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
Thanks again for the info. From what i gather after asking my GP about it a local dealer here in Nampa, ID was offering the ATS kit as a dealer option. You don't get service like that any more from the steelerships. I have some time off this next week and i may just have to build myself a pop tester. I have an old port-a-power thats missing all of the attachments i have been holding onto for just that reason. But overall i'm pretty happy to walk into a set of BB injectors, be mismatched or not, that are known runners. Should make tho old girl a little happier. O, one other question... What should i be looking for to tell if my pre-combustion chambers are smoked while i have the injectors out? I had read a couple of people noticed issues while they had the injector out

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With the injecters out of the heads there is no way to see the precups in the heads. All you can do is clean up the injecter seats in the heads if they are cut. For that you will need a seat reamer and they are very expensive.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the injecters out of the heads there is no way to see the precups in the heads. All you can do is clean up the injecter seats in the heads if they are cut. For that you will need a seat reamer and they are very expensive.

especially when someone tries to cut a file out of the hole. sorry Gary could help it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ.. That really brings back a tuff time for me... For the members that have no idea what I'm refering to this is it. I loaned a injecter seat reamer to a member. He was having a tuff time removing a stuck copper washer in the injecter bore. I had told him how to remove it but no... He forced a three sided file tang into the hole and broke it off. I told him the seat reamer would not cut out the broken file end but he tried to do it anyway. Then over 6 months later I get back my ruined seat reamer with no explaination how it was ruined. Then he continues to ask questions by pm and the open forum. Turns out he felt if he drilled tiny holes next to the broken file edges it would pop out... So now he has a file still stuck in the head. Drilled out the seat area so guess what is now a junk head. That guy is no longer part of this forum. I remember where he was located but not the name. That was way back in 2009. He also wanted a hydroboost I had so on my way home from the rally I kept trying to contact him. Finally around Kingman Az he returned my call. Lived about 50 miles from the I40 and could not meet me to pick up the part. I offered to place it at any mile marker hidden well but he wanted me to drop it off with the flying j fuel stop with the cashier who he didn't know.. Just drop it off with whoever is on shift... Yeah sure bud... So I took it home and mailed it back to him.. He never paid.. Lesson learned too... Thanks Russ for reminding me of some crappy members...:angel::D

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
That's pretty sad. I have a lot of specialty tools myself and have learned the hard way over the years there is a reason why some people don't have tools (let alone anything nice they can call their own) and should never be lent them. I appreciate the help this community can bring. My GP is a good resource i look to as well, it is just nice to know there are others out there willing to share their knowledge. Thanks again,

Black dawg

Reaction score
I usually find the united tech injectors in 86 and older stuff, they test similar to a d code injector. I would not mix those injectors with the bb codes. I have never had good luck mix and matching injectors, even same letter code and year but different miles.

If you are dead set on using them, test them. Some of the nozzles can be interchanged between bodies, so regardless of letter code they might all match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online

No members online now.