Injector Pump Ticking?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
98 Dodge 12V 4X4 with auto trans.

I slid the stock plate all of the way forward and stretched the spring in the overflow valve. The truck runs great, but now we have a ticking noise coming from the P7100 IP area. Ticking is very loud low idle and isn't noticeable at
highway speeds.

Any ideas?

I am thinking of pulling the fuel plate and grinding a #100 and sliding
it back about a 1/16" and see if the ticking goes away. (Which is what I should have donr the first time LOL )

Whit

Reaction score
I cant remember the details but I have read that the ticking thing is normal, some pumps louder than others................its nuttin to worry bout unless it drives ya crazy

The 100 plate is the best combo for ya, easy on the drivetrain yer full fuel after take off...........I have made many 100's and keep in continious rotation of plates so lemme know if ya need one

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Whitmore,

I read extensively about the "hammering" of the fuel lines on various models, but this truck
was quiet until after I slid the plate. It was one of those "Lets see if this helps anything"
type deals. I didn't have my service truck close, so the "machining" tools were not close
to mod the stock plate with. I am just wondering if the governor arm is sliding below the
notch sticking out on the stock plate to make the noise?

It is a very annoying 'ticking', I want to make it go away!

Whit

Reaction score
you can eyeball the gov arm and see if its below the plate then adjust from there.........do the 100 and see what happens there

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Whitmore,

There is what I forgot to do! I appreciate the nudge in the right direction. I don't deal with
a lot of Cummins, but if the future holds out I will. Gonna do a repower of a Ford with a
12v, and hopefully that will be my last pickup for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online