Injector lines

mikedean

Reaction score
Do the injector lines have to all be the same length? I need to repair or replace one that was cross threaded and the nut split.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply, yes. If they didn't don't you think they would of made them all a straight shot instead of all those twists and bends?
If one is shorter the timing will most likely be off for that cylinder compared to the rest.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that they are all the same length. There are a couple that are pretty short compared to the rest. Don't see how length would affect timing.

mikedean

Reaction score
I was thinking that it does not matter but I am not an experienced mechanic. I have 1/4" ss tubing but I do not have the ability to flare the ends.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the shorter the line the quicker fuel gets there the longer the line the slow it gets there, want to see how much it chnges timing is yours a 7.3 or 6.9? if its a 7.3 put one 6.9 line on it and fire it up and listen you will hear one cylinder thats a little different than the rest, if its a 6.9 put a 7.3 line on and do the same that will show you how it changes timing, you wouldnt think the lines are any different between the 6.9 and 7.3 but they actually are cause the injector is sunk more into the head its not alot of difference but its enough to make a difference, now you can put 6.9 injector line on a 7.3 or vise versa as long as you change the hole set that way all the cylinders are timed the same

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the shorter the line the quicker fuel gets there the longer the line the slow it gets there, want to see how much it chnges timing is yours a 7.3 or 6.9? if its a 7.3 put one 6.9 line on it and fire it up and listen you will hear one cylinder thats a little different than the rest, if its a 6.9 put a 7.3 line on and do the same that will show you how it changes timing, you wouldnt think the lines are any different between the 6.9 and 7.3 but they actually are cause the injector is sunk more into the head its not alot of difference but its enough to make a difference, now you can put 6.9 injector line on a 7.3 or vise versa as long as you change the hole set that way all the cylinders are timed the same

are we talkin a good change if 6.9 lines are used on a 7.3?if so will 6.9 lines fit on a factory turbo 7.3? :sly

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

are we talkin a good change if 6.9 lines are used on a 7.3?if so will 6.9 lines fit on a factory turbo 7.3? :sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the lines are the same length for a reason. It will affect timing. The 7.3 and 6.9 have the same lines Factory turbo or not. Some 7.3's apparently have a timing adaptor on the #1 line, but mine doesn't.

Heath

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
All the lines are the same length for a reason. It will affect timing. The 7.3 and 6.9 have the same lines Factory turbo or not. Some 7.3's apparently have a timing adaptor on the #1 line, but mine doesn't.

Heath

7.3 lines are a hair longer than 6.9 lines but the lines will switch between motors as long as you swap all of them

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 injector lines are .060” shorter to coincide with the injector retraction int the head. The good news that this is negligible and the injector lines are still interchangeable between the two engines. ;Sweet

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In the late 88 year I think was when Ford had to make emmissions changes to these motors. What they did was pull the injectors up out of the heads 60 thousands. So the 7.3 hard lines are 60 thous shorter to fit. They will fit on a 6.9 motor but require some slight bending to fit. Just like a 6.9 line fitting on a 7.3 motor. I really can't tell the differance in looks and mearureing them wont tell you either. As posted the number one line is differant on some motors but they all need to be the same length too. How would a motor run mixing the two differant motor lines... I don't know. I have several sets of lines and usually don't have any issues when I change them out as I have in the past. I really don't know if my running set is mixed or not. Probably need to buy a new set and do some timing testing....:dunno:sly

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a line on my 7.3 break on the road during a 2000 mile vacation. To get myself on the road again, I turned the line around backwards(#1 line broke at the pump), and bent the line down near the injector return lines, took a return line off and slipped it up over the injection line, so #1 from the pump was injecting into the return system. I ran on 7 cylinders all the way from Tenn to Pensacola FL. When I got to FL, I turned Pensacola upside down, and finally a guy had pity on me and let me have a #1 injector line off a 6.9. I had to bend it to fit, but after that the engine ran fine the rest of the trip.

Later on I found out the 6.9's don't have the timing tool adapter on #1 injector, so I took that off and re-bent the 6.9 line, and it fits much better, and is still running fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat