Injection pump?

JustinC00

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m at a loss. I just looked up the injection pump part number for my truck(1985 F250, 6.9 idi). The injection pump that I have in there according to the part number is for a 1987 6.9 idi. Is there really a big difference in the injection pumps between the years 1985 and 1987 to cause issues or are they interchangeable?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are interchangeable. The only variations that I know of are high altitude(fueling turned down a bit) and turbo(fueling turned up a bit). Otherwise everything is exactly the same from 83-94. And possibly one spec'd for 1993 7.3 would have a but more fuel than an 83 6.9 but I'm not positive. Besides you can fix that if you need more or less fuel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With stock settings, I'm guessing that this is right. These days, after being rebuilt (possibly several times) the part numbers on a IP mean very little. Along the same lines as the code that's stamped onto the injectors as well as the factory timing marks in the IPs and the housings.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Do you guys have any idea what the stock setting for the fuel screw is. It was maxed out when I bought it and I need to back it off a ton.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I certainly don't. It's probably trail and error. I would suggest turning it down 1/2 turn to start and go from there.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The fuel screw is set while the pump is on the calibration machine. There is no "factory setting" as each pump calbrates just a little different. Just like the timing mark for the IP on the gear housing. That was set at the factory when the engine was built and was adjusted during the test run on the factory line when they were being bulit at the IH Plant in Indy. If you took the pump off the engine that it was built with, that mark is correct. Once the pump is rebuilt, even if you have the factory pump rebuilt, that mark on the housing is no longer correct. It then has to be timed with a meter and adjusted accordingly.

I'm with IDIBRONCO, back it off, drive it, back it off, drive it and get it to where on a hard acceleration it get just the lightest haze you can see, like can only really notice unless it is at night and you catch it in the headlights behind you. You don't want a ton of smoke, because this will drive the EGT's up, and is a waste if money. Any black smoke is unburned fuel that is not moving you or your load down the road. But, it is possible to turn it down too far, and limit fuel and take away power. If you have no smoke, and feel like the power is down, then you may have to turn it back up a bit. When you adjust it, keep track of how many "flats" you turn allen wrench. Most of us here refer to adjusting this screw in "flats" (I.E. - Turn it up 2 flats, or turn it down 3 flats, just so you have an exapmle). That way, if you turn it down 3 flats, and notice a power hit, then turn it back up 1.5 and see if it comes back. That will let you know how much you changed it, and if troubleshooting is needed it can help us, to help you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online