Injection pump swap

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
Hi I have a 88 F250 7.3 ZF5speed and it has been harder and harder to start, and will not start now. I suspect injection pump because of this and I know there is fuel to the filter and to the pump, the truck has a 101k for millage at least I believe it to because of the previous title. But if the pump is bad will it still push start unless the pump is just done completely? And my buddy says he has a old mini ford buss with a diesel but not sure if it is 7.3 or 6.9 will a 6.9 pump work. Thank you.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I moved you to this forum to get faster answers. While in theory the 911 diesel down forum was the right place, not many of our members look there on a daily basis. The IDI forum is the most active on this site, so you'll get answers here quickly. Unless your engine is hot and has been sitting for about 20 minutes when you have this problem, the IP is probably not your source of concern. Describe in greater detail when and how this is happening. Do you see any smoke at all?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming we are talking about hard starting cold.....

Most likely issues are bad glow plugs and slow cranking. Glow plugs need to be good and the motor needs to turn over FAST to start.

If the IP was bad you would have problems with hot start only that would get progressively worse.

Does the truck have the same problem starting warm as well as cold?

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
Yes it has problems cold and hot starting. The plugs are new a year a go, but one is broke and just the center of it shows out of the plug hole, and one just broke the rubber cap from the plug harness, both plugs are the front two cylinders on the passenger side. But my bateries ar dead now and I tried pull starting the that, But I just rememberd the bateries need a little of juice in them to set the fuel selonoid or relay on the pump so my engine was not getting fuel no matter what. I realized this after I took the injection pump and lines out of the truck with the pump timming gear still attached to the pump and the oil neck,......so I disturbed the pump timming. Then I slapped it all back together and now I hope I got the timming close enough that is will run, I just went by the location of the dowel pin on the pump gear???? I havent tried yet to start it yet because my bateries are still dead even though they have a warrenty left. Thanks for the advice so far.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't hard to put the pump back straight as long as you knew exactly where the dowel was. After all you can't be "a little" off, you would be at least one tooth off.

The batteries need a good charge to open the FSS solenoid. Errr maybe 10 - 11 volts.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arg! Why is it that we always hear these stories going from bad to worse.

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
Ok Thanks again I havnt got a charger so trying to borrow one. I have less than a shoestring budget and only know the basics. Only tools I have is sockets and wrenches and some odd and ends.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Where are you located? If you put your location in your signature, members would know where you are, and might be able to help.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Click "User CP" in the upper left area of your screen. The rest should be obvious.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It works fine. I have an entire 6.9 fuel system on my 7.3 as mentioned in my sig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online