Injection pump replacement

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i am getting ready to replace my failed injection pump on my 7.3, did lots of reading on the subject and doesn't appear to be rocket science, just want to get any opinions on what you would recommend i change out while i am in there . All i have as of right now is the injection pump. Fire away.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Agreed about where the pump came from. As for replacing other things I suggest the return like kit and the seals on the fuel feed line ends. Those seals are called olives and well known in the industry. Many good injection pump repair shop have them in stock. Please do not remove the injection pump gear cover from the top of the engine block. Doing that will remove the pump, gear and the housing as one piece. I would only do it that way if I was talking a pump from a wrecked truck engine. No other times will removing the pump that way work out right for you. The cam gear sits too low in the block to actually see the gear timing marks. Getting the gears off by 1 or 2 teeth will ruin your timing and make it impossible to time the engine,

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injection pump is a re manufactured pump from staydine . the injectors have 118k on them , don't know if they ever had been replaced before i got the truck . I read about the olives and return line is also probably a good idea , I like to eliminate problems before they happen . Where is a good place to order them ? Yea i read about unbolting the pump through the inspection hole in the front of the housing , I might have a little more work to be able to get to the hole, my truck is a dump and has the hydraulic pump on the front of the engine, and to mount it they made up a steel plate to mount it and it partially covers the access hole , so i may have to pull everything off the front of the motor .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those injectors are likely in poor condition with 118,000 miles on them. On average, that is about 3,540,000,000 actuation's per injector. :eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks Mel, I was about to mention that too. This is a great time to replace the old injectors with a new set of Delphi BB codes. No need for the G codes. They will not help you with mileage or hp gains at all.

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ do you have the viton olives and injector return line kit ? Heck pm me a price for BB injectors and olives and return line kit .

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You would need to pm Russell (Typ4)
Agnem is Mel at Conestoga diesel. He sells all that also. Probably best to call him during business hours.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep , i took care of that last night . Russ pm'ed me back . going to order from him . Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online