Injection pump install

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed a new injection pump in a 94 7.3L IDI turbo. Everything is back together but the truck has very little power. The truck runs but doesent sound quite right. The timing marks are in the 12 0 clock position. Is it possible the timing gear jumped a tooth when the pump the pump was off? Is that even possible? Could a little twist of the pump and get us back to where we need to be. Is there a way to set the dynamic timing by ear if thats the problem?

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We never took the injection pump housing off that is the aluminum case that holds the timing gear.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Those marks are only good from the factory. The truck needs timed.

gandalf

Reaction score
Those marks are only good from the factory. The truck needs timed.

Right. The timing mark on the IP was right on the original installation, but will not necessarily be right on a different engine. As I understand things, the factory installs the IP, times it, and makes the line mark. When you put the pump on a different engine, that timing mark is only approximate, close enough to get the engine running so you can time it properly. Yes, you NEED to time that new IP.

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet there is a good thread on how to do this. Could someone send me the link? Trying to get my friends back home for work on Monday. We're in Las Vegas and they need to get to Palm Springs. How expensive or available is the dynamic timing tool?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
will need either a Ferret timing adapter and a GOOD timing lamp or someone who has a timing meter. post down in the IDI area, someone shopould be close enough to help ya time it.