Info On Cummins Needed

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. My wife was made up her mind that she wants a Cummins since I have the Powerstroke. That 'other' diesel motor name is not even allowed in my house!! LOL Anyway, I know nothing about the Cummins, but we are looking for a 94-97 year range. What should I be aware of, look for, know about??????? Help me out here guys!!!!!!

Kevin

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
You should know that it won't be long and you'll want one too. :angel:

Ext. cabs started in '95, quads in the 12 valve model were only available in '98. Your choice is either 5 speed or auto for '94-'97. You'll want to tab the KDP or you could do the jig method. The tab method being the most expensive and time consuming cost me about $60 for a couple gaskets and a new screw and about 4 hours. Big deal huh :rolleyes: . The autos have in some instances smaller turbos and almost always have detuned pumps. The closer you get to '96/'97 or the elusive '98 you get the most powerfull pumps (stock)
What else are ya looking for?

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
OK......looking for a extended cab 4x4 automatic. She dont want a stick cause of the horse trailer and such. Gotta have the extended cab for space and need the 4x4 cause were in Michigan. My f350 dually is 2 wheel drive and man does it suck in the winter!!!!!!

Kevin

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm not far from the MI/IN border and let me tell you the 2wd Dodge is what I affectionally call the "White Fish" she just sits there and flops like a white fish on the pier when the snow is on the ground. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 4x4 before the next round of snow flakes.

The auto's are not what I would wish on anyone. They can be made to work ok but Dodge can't make a tranny to save their collect butts. But if she's set on an auto (which she probably is - like most women once they have their mind set your not gonna change it) then look for one that already has a beefed up tranny - it's actually pretty easy to find one like that because once the truck has been out on the road a while most guys find they break and then have to fix 'em so they have 'em fixed right.

Kill the dowel pin if it hasn't already been done - tons of them on the market have already been done but if you or the previous owner does not know if it has been done - DO IT or have it done.

But the trucks are pretty good - there are some common problems with them just like any other brand like the fuel senders take a dump but it's a cheap fix - haven't done mine yet but it involved just dropping the tank and adding a washer and retaining washer to hold the float lever down a little closer/tighter.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Problems I've had with only 125K on the odo:
1. rear pinion seal sprung a leak.
2. oil pressure sending unit got funky, replaced it.
3. a few gasket leaks on the motor, none were damaging, but just a menace to my garage floor.
4. fuel sending unit went haywire. I replaced it without dropping the tank. In my mind it was easier to take out the 4 bolts of the bed and tilt it with a floor jack.
5. Clutch went out with about 105k on, but that was around the time it dynojetted at 370 hp/900 tq.

I'd check the TDR classifieds, there are many trucks in there that already have the auto DTT'd or as such along with many other items already taken care of.