In Bed Spare Holder

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After dealing with my spare just sitting in the bed of my truck for 6+ months I decided I needed a better setup. I could have attempted to bolt it back under the truck but I doubt it would fit as the tire is a bit larger than stock. So I decided today to build a mount for it. Here is the result.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not bad for a stick weld.

Here it is clamped in place for fitment

Bolted in

And finally with the spare mounted.

It is really mounted pretty stiff overall. Not much flex. In the last picture it shows how close it is to the bed. I doesn't flex enough to touch the bed so I am happy with it. As soon as I can I will paint it. I've got to paint some steel at work so I'll just throw it in the mix. That means it'll be "Oak Post" (Paint color). Hope it doesn't clash with worn the hell out black.LOL

BTW frame is 1 1/2" sq tube. Wheel mounting plate is 3/8". Stuff I had left over at work so all free.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My grandpas truck came with a spare holder that mounts just like that installed in the bed from the factory, or dealer.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know my idea was not unique. It was just nice to do something to the truck that did not resemble a repair for a change. Felt good.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Looks like it is built heavy enough for a semi truck tire..........I like it!;Sweet
I am having the same problem the difference is I am going to replace the bed with an aluminum flat bed. I would like to mount the tire out of site and still havent figured out where to put it or if there will even be any spaces or compartments big enough for it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice, i like my old stick welder for thicker stuff. i think that bracket will outlast the truck!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think that bracket will outlast the truck!

I hope I can't verify this comment anytime soon.

Thanks for the comments. If I had time and was home (in my own shop) I would be fabbing up more stuff. But alas it just aint happening right now. Soon I hope. Need a front bumper and redesign of the rear bumper for more departure angle. Skid plates and reclocking the transfer case would be fun as well. I will wait patiently until then.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
good work man i like the result...and the close up of the dimes!!! i however dont have that problem, cause i just take one off the rear!!! hahaha

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I've spent a little time welding with a stick. That was 7018 rod. It's burns nice but is very temperamental about rod placement/angle IMO. Likes to just fuse with the metal if you're off. 6013 welds the easiest IMO but not dense enough for pipe welding.

H2Odrx if you really wanted one of these I would entertain the idea. As far as cost goes materials are cheap. Probably less than $25 in materials but if you had to buy entire sticks of them it would add up pretty quick. 3/8" x 8" x 20' plate was over $110 by itself if I remember right. I would be willing to make it really cheap if it was an "in my spare time" project. The last thing I want to take on right now is any more deadlines.:puke: Too stressed already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online