Importance of air intake?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that this piece is missing on my truck, and wonder at what it serves, and how important (or not?) it is?
(I did use a image from this forum, I hope that's not a problem?)

Attachments

• 35B5D827-2B4C-41FE-8A46-A03FCE673AF5.jpeg
    35B5D827-2B4C-41FE-8A46-A03FCE673AF5.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 19

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having one might make for less intake noise in the cab and the engine might get cooler (denser) air.
Otherwise not a problem.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will run fine and not hurt anything, but you will be sucking in much hotter, less dense air which will cost a few ponies. These engines don't have any extra power to give up, so I would go junk yard hopping and find a replacement as soon as possible.

*Edit* I did not see that you were in France. Not very many IDI trucks sitting in salvage yards over there. Might be time to get creative.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe flexible metal clothes dryer vent hose?
I have a spare length here I can send you if you want to pay shipping. ;-)

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I was able to locate the newer style one that sits over the battery from another member. It does get in the way when I'm trying to work on the truck but it's pretty easy to move. Like @Brian VT said it made a slight difference in the intake noise these trucks make when the soup bowl is removed. It might have picked up some slight power but it's tough to say. My main reason for it was to pick up cleaner air. Here in AZ it gets SUPER dry and dusty year round so this helps E-long-gate my air filter life even though they get swapped out once a year. From what i've heard from the Australians is they do this as well but with snorkels. Not because they're driving across river crossings but because they get way better air quality with with less dust than the factory setup. At least that's what an old Aussie told me when I was vacationing down under.

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven`t had mine on for the past 4 years or so. Was doing some work on it and never put it back on.
As far and more engine noise in the cab, not sure if there is.
The main purpose is to pull in colder air from the front, cold is more dense.
They must be a hot item, I rarely see them on any trucks in PNP.

On one of the forums there was some temps taken with the truck sitting still and idling, and also being driven down the road.
Naturally sitting there will be some heat build up.
Driving there is enough air coming in through the Grill, under the truck etc...there wasn`t as much heat as every one think there is.

I have read it a couple times, don`t remember if OB, FTE or a Mercedes Forum Iam on also.

It`s dusty here in Nevada also, the Wix Filter has a Foam wrap around it that really catches a lot of dust. I pull it off about every 6 months and wash it out. Amazing how much it holds that doesn`t get to the paper part of the filter.
Guess you would call it a pre filter.

I just swapped on a spare one I kept a week or so back, and washed out the other one. The soapy water I was washing out was was really black, guess from soot in the air.
Used some low pressure air, and gently blew across the face of the filter, and from the inside out, and hardly any dust blew out. Wanted to see how much dust there was.

You do not want to use any high pressure air, and blow any holes in the paper. Hold the nozzle back a ways.

Goat

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I was able to locate the newer style one that sits over the battery from another member. It does get in the way when I'm trying to work on the truck but it's pretty easy to move. Like @Brian VT said it made a slight difference in the intake noise these trucks make when the soup bowl is removed. It might have picked up some slight power but it's tough to say. My main reason for it was to pick up cleaner air. Here in AZ it gets SUPER dry and dusty year round so this helps E-long-gate my air filter life even though they get swapped out once a year. From what i've heard from the Australians is they do this as well but with snorkels. Not because they're driving across river crossings but because they get way better air quality with with less dust than the factory setup. At least that's what an old Aussie told me when I was vacationing down under.
That makes sense! I've seen many Aussie-style rigs over the years and always wondered what rivers they were fording. I'm sure it could be for that too but the less dust part makes a lot of sense.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talking about Australia and snorkels, on elderly Toyota's the snorkels were one piece, ready to ford rivers, these modern Toyota's now have 2 piece snorkels, and they even are no longer watertight !? Why would that be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online