Immediate maintenance for a new '93

jchristie

Reaction score
Just bought a new '93 F-250 2wd. It runs good and is in decent shape. I was wondering what some of yall recommended on immediate maintenance since I've purchased it. My primary goal is to dump and replace all fluids on the truck (coolant, transmission, rear end, oil). It has new glow plugs and compressor. Alternator looks old, but it still works. Batteries are good and sufficient for the truck.

Thanks in advance

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WElcome to the forum. Changing the fluids is a great idea because it gives you a starting point to watch from.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good start. It might not hurt to check the wear on your brakes and your accessory belt. The belt tensioner can go bad from age too.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid but smell your trans fluid. If it smells burnt, get it looked at. Also look at the condition of all the fluids. Green/milky/graphite gray oil is bad. Water in oil doesn't always appear on a dip stick. So is orange diesel if your fuel gauge doesn't work. While you're at it, look at all your rubber hoses. Especially any fuel lines that may have hairline cracks and like to leak...All this sounds out there but ask me how I know....Also, not sure about your year but look to see if you have what's called a 3G alt. If not, get one and do the swap. Best thing you could do to that truck next to fluid changes.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check glow plug brand. If they are autolites or champions unscrew them and throw as far as possible. Then screw in beru motorcraft plugs. Some auto-rx plugs are ok but some swell tips

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
With the 93 he should have the serp belt set up an a 3G alt.

Even though it has new glow plugs, check to make sure they are new motorcraft/beru plugs, not that u will have glow issues down in Houston, but cheap plugs can swell and get stuck in the motor.

Also you can upsize your oil filter an run a Powerstroke filter, motorcraft FL-1995 or Mobil 1 M-601, gives you about a quart more oil capacity so fill accordingly

Also do you have a Auto or Manual trans, list your truck info in your signature it helps us out too. It doesnt have to look like IcanFixall up above lol just something plain and simple

jchristie

Reaction score
This has been awesome. Thanks for all the help...

@HS108 what's the benefit of adding a larger oil filter? More filtering capacity?

Also, I need to get under there and take a look, but I'm not positive on which tranny I have. It's a 4 speed with OD manual. I believe it's one of the ZF models... just not sure which one.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
More filtering surface, and more oil in the system which could help the oil life last a bit longer.

There is no real true night and day benifit of a larger oil filter, per say

Just the old American spirt, big things and more oil!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
peek fleet charge coolant!
delo 400
and royal purple 80W90.
redline bearing grease!
and most of all,almost always overlooked...
CHECK YOUR BLINKER FLUID!!!!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online