I'm finally going to pull them

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The valve covers. The blow by is the same I guess but I know it is plenty for an engine with low miles (25k) so what would You guys suggest?

Thank You.

btw anywhere to get those felpro VC gasckets?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance Auto Parts usually deals in Fel-Pro gaskests for these motors at least for teh heads and valve cover gaskets,
J.D.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I just ordered felpro VC gaskets from rockauto, they ship fast. I have noticeable blowby and after using the stethoscope on the VC and all over the engine and tranny I can still hear the same tick noise only I starting to hear it louder even though I don't know if it really is bc I hear it every day, it sounds the same all over the engine but when it is on top of the VC I can hear a different tone from the back to the front of the engine. the rocker arms on the front cylinders sound like a cumins but the ones in the back 7&8 sound with a tick. I put the stethoscope on the tranny and I can hear the same tick.

Since there is blowby and the engine is newly rebuild I want to find out if it is coming from the valves. I do not have much oil usage now, about 1 maybe 2 qt on 3k miles.

Any ideas? Thank You.

obinella

Reaction score
hi exekiel, if you want to look for the tick, go for it. but crankcase blow-by is caused by combustion gases leaking around and past the rings. valves do not contribute to crankcase blow-by. that is the reason john ask his question. good luck, chuck

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The blowby does not bother Me (even though there is plenty of it) as much as that dang thick noise. I can clearly hear it at the rear of the engine under the engine right where the flyweel is, but I'd hate to think so and never look at the rocker arms while that is the problem all along.

There are several types of valve spring compressors, wich one do You recommend for this engines?

Thank You.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Would this work fine in our engine valves? Or anyone else know of a better one to do the job?

Thank You.

sassyrel

Reaction score
exekiel--no--thats meant for small gas engines--Lisle tool makes some fine spring compressors--in a couple diff arrangements---if you pull the vc---and can put rocker clips on----amd then listen on the sides of the pushrods--while running----you may have what happened to my brother--his 87 had a lifter fork break--and only after we did some other things--did this noise come to light--told him--pull the ip--and pull intake and pan--as soon as he got it off--he called immed on cell--said you wont believe--the fork broke--and the lifter turned 90 degrees---and ate the lobe off the cam----theres two diff thicknesses of those forks--and guess which ones break----!!!!!!!!!!Ford in their infinite wisdom--------got used ones off a used engine--80,000 plus later--still no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
sassyrel said:
exekiel--no--thats meant for small gas engines--Lisle tool makes some fine spring compressors--in a couple diff arrangements---if you pull the vc---and can put rocker clips on----amd then listen on the sides of the pushrods--while running----you may have what happened to my brother--his 87 had a lifter fork break--and only after we did some other things--did this noise come to light--told him--pull the ip--and pull intake and pan--as soon as he got it off--he called immed on cell--said you wont believe--the fork broke--and the lifter turned 90 degrees---and ate the lobe off the cam----theres two diff thicknesses of those forks--and guess which ones break----!!!!!!!!!!Ford in their infinite wisdom--------got used ones off a used engine--80,000 plus later--still no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You for the tip on the tool I'll try to find Me one. I sure hope I don't have the same problem as Your brother's engine. I have the chance to ask John (at Joe's house this weekend) to listen to the tick noise, He agreed that it seems to come from under the engine. I listened to it with an stethoscope and still can't tell if it is from the manifold or the Flywheel.

This is my question, is there a specific way to install this FW's? This is a luk solid FW, it does have one more hole in it than the crankshaft, is it then only one way to install it to keep balanced?

The Haines manual say "Be sure to align the hole in the FW/driveplate with the dowel pin in the crankshaft" is this something I'm missing? when I installed this FW all I did was remove the old one and install this one with the bolts it come with and put the new clutch that comes with it too but I didn't see any difference installing it one way or another. Any ideas on that?

Thank You

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, to the best of my knowledge, the crank doesn't have a dowel pin. I usually just try to make sure it goes on the same way it came off.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The tick was there when it was installed the first time, so I thought it was not installed properly but after I reinstalled it the tick is still there, I wonder if it is a defect from factory. Anyway, that is what the book said I haven't seen any mark in it either.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Injectors poping off too early can make a lot or ratteling noise, basicaly the diesel equivlent to pinging on a gasser. Just something to think about if you haven't already.

good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online