ij pump tech

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iam wondering if anyone can gointo detail exactly what the pump is doing while it turns, like the plungers exc, also does anyone have any pics of the internals? thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always found those drawings hard to follow. Once you've taken one all the way apart, you get a much better understanding of what is going on in there. Once you've put one all the way back together, then you really don't understand it again. LOL

IHOlRed

Reaction score
what are you wanting to know the internals for? it would take pages to truly explain how these pumps work. is there a certain part you need to replace? the tolerances on injection pumps are so tight that its not smart to just take one apart on your workbench. if you have ever seen inside a professional injection rebuild shop its litterally as clean as a doctors office with no dust anywhere. the only piece i would say you can replace is the fuel shutoff solenoid that is located right underneath the top cap

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
what are you wanting to know the internals for? it would take pages to truly explain how these pumps work. is there a certain part you need to replace? the tolerances on injection pumps are so tight that its not smart to just take one apart on your workbench. if you have ever seen inside a professional injection rebuild shop its litterally as clean as a doctors office with no dust anywhere. the only piece i would say you can replace is the fuel shutoff solenoid that is located right underneath the top cap

me and 97idi are wanting to learn more abou thow these pumps work so there can be a way found to make them perform past 3000 rpm, now there has to be a way for them too, cause somewer on the internet i read that the max rpm is like 6000 i have spun mine past 4000 quite a few times so surely there is a way to make them perform past 4000

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have seen 6000 as well maby thats the max rpm before parts fail? idk but i have gone over diagrams and i get it for the most part like how the plungers work exc and how exactly the fuel screw works, also iam looking at the cam ring the operates the plungers and their has to be a way to basicly make a new one that operates better at higher rpms along with plunger modification, at this point iam not worried about a clean shop, iam a tig welder by trade and have very clean work spaces, iam just trying to get a better understanding of what i will have to do to make it work

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the delivery valve is their a way to mess with that? also depending on the passages i may beable to use afm to make them flow better

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YEAH IT SHOULD BEABLE TO FUEL OVER 4000, AND I THINK IF WE MAKE A SETUP THAT HAS THE PLUNGERS GO UP HIGHER IT WILL ALLOW MORE FUEL BETWEEN THEM THEIR FOR PUSHING MORE TO THE INJECTORS

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
YEAH IT SHOULD BEABLE TO FUEL OVER 4000, AND I THINK IF WE MAKE A SETUP THAT HAS THE PLUNGERS GO UP HIGHER IT WILL ALLOW MORE FUEL BETWEEN THEM THEIR FOR PUSHING MORE TO THE INJECTORS

we still got alot more reaserch to do

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i know ha but if their is a will their is a way and i wana find out how to doit

yea, well im going to keep doing homework over it every chance i get, i think next thing im going to do is mess with this othe screw i been hearing about inside the pump the one in the suply line and see what it does

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point, you may find that you will have to replace the cam ring/plungers with a more exotic metal. I don't know how long those stock parts will hold up to those kinds of presures and speeds.

sassyrel

Reaction score
At some point, you may find that you will have to replace the cam ring/plungers with a more exotic metal. I don't know how long those stock parts will hold up to those kinds of presures and speeds.

yup--and unobtanium aint cheap--and even more expensive ti mill,grind,and polish it--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online