Ign. switch slider bit on a tilt column removal

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody in the know able to tell me if there's a way to get the ignition switch slide mechanism out? the repair id di to my broken one is not long for the world. It's the
You must be registered for see images attach
white metal bit that'ws acted on by the tumbler and connects to the long rod in the phot that goes down to the switch further down. Problem is it runs into the metal outer part and I don't see how to separate the two parts of the tilt mechanism. or may be I can make this whole unit from a auto matic work in my manual. thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make it easy on yourself and just nock out the pin for the shifter, swap your cover from your manual column and youre golden.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's cool news will see what they want for the upper part of the column at the pickapart. was hoping to walk out with just the little piece.

Also, that upper part of the column sliding out was something I didn't know could be done until today. Is there a trick to getting it to slide back in?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You can buy a new POS pot metal actuator for less than $15. To,replace it, I believe you have to “split” the hinge for the tilt. I haven’t done it yet, but it’s on the list as mine broke over the winter on a single digit morning. Fortunately it’s stuck in the run position, so I have a push button for the starter and just disconnect the batteries. It’s not driven much, so it’s not a big deal at this point.

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with snicklas the part is called an ignition actuator and you can get it at the local auto parts store for under $15. Not worth pulling a used one that may already be stressed.

I replaced mine last winter and separated the two pieces by using a long punch and knocking out the pins from the inside out. One caution is that the angle is somewhat steep and the metal is soft so try to only have the punch hit the pin. Otherwise the metal will get gouged. If you search for Ford ignition actuator replacement you should be able to find plenty of videos and forum threads. It is a very common problem which is why I would only replace with new parts.

Last edited:

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys. Pre-stressed or not, I got a steering wheel loaded with the pick a part ignition actuator. Perhaps worn in is good in this case. Biggest improvement will be the blinker mechanism. $6.

Split the pivots with a screw and a phillips. $20 for the steering wheel (with leather wrap). Going back for a tailgate, door and maybe fender. May be a bench seat from a 97 f150?

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted. If you don't mind explaining, what did you use the screw and phillips for?

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The machine screw I tried (1/4-20?) with a phillips head bottomed out in the tilt pivot axis sleeve and I kept turning until it twisted the sleeve and I could pry it out the remainder of the way. that way, the two parts of the tilt mechanism split and I was able to pull the little ignition actuator entirely out of its groove. Presumably I'll be able to do the reverse on my column tomorrow. I practiced on the junk yard unit trying to put the sprung mechanism back together so that should help.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish you luck. I needed two more hands and a tail to get my column back together. I think those pins are tapped for either 10-32 or 10-24. I don’t think it was 1/4-20 just FYI.