Ignition Switch Actuator Rod replacement

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey all,

Ignition actuator rod arm thing in the column broke yesterday and I am having a helluva hard time trying to find any instructions on how to replace it. Truck is a 1994 F-Superduty with a non power non tilt steering wheel. I *think* I have to take the steering wheel off but the darn thing wont slide off the spline steering shaft. Is there a pin or bolt somewhere that I am not seeing? All I can see is that it had one large bolt holding the wheel on the spline shaft but ive slammed on this thing and it wont separate from the shaft.

Anyone have any experience with this?

ISPKI

Reaction score
For this style? No threaded holes on the steering wheel to thread into.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Guessing those 4 holes are not threaded?

Perhaps spray with wd40 and let it sit overnight.(Smells better than most other lubricants.)

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Another thought if you have a air chisel. Put a blunt tip on and air hammer, go easy, run about a 1/2 inch from the splines and go around around the hole. The vibration will likely loosen the grip the spines have on the steering wheel. If you can find a helper have them wiggle and pull while you do it.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Arighty so I got a 2 jaw puller and yanked it off, now I need to get my hands on the ignition switch actuator parts.

I found a Dorman part# 47510 which is the upper actuator but I cant seem to track down the lower actuator. I havent pulled both of them out just yet but id like to replace them both since i'll be in there anyways.

ISPKI

Reaction score
The parts that I am looking for are #s 23 and 24 in the attached image. This schematic says its for a 92-96 F150/F250/Bronco but the column parts look right. Part names are Column Actuator and Steering Lock Lever. I have found Part#23 as Dorman part# 47510 but I cannot find part# 24.

Attachments

• Steering Components.jpg
    Steering Components.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 29

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know the non-tilt columns had a problem like the tilt columns did. Suffice it to say if Dorman is making the part, there must be a lot of demand for them. What's wrong with part number 24?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is the center bore of the steering shaft threaded?

ISPKI

Reaction score
I didn't know the non-tilt columns had a problem like the tilt columns did. Suffice it to say if Dorman is making the part, there must be a lot of demand for them. What's wrong with part number 24?
I think part# 24 is actually what broke and I couldnt find it anywhere. However, I swung by my local Carquest and the counter guy did some hunting around and found what appears to be the correct part on amazon. OBS Ford Shift Column Actuator Arm

Unfortunately, it is two weeks out on delivery and faster delivery costs 30$ on a 15$ part.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Is the center bore of the steering shaft threaded?
Yes the center bore is threaded on my truck. I dont know if that is normal, seems like the F-Superduty has some oddball parts in it.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A nut is supposed to go on the center shaft. Looks like the steering wheel is partially pulled off already.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You might have to resort to this, if possible.

You must be registered for see images attach