IDIs are missed

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sold my 6.9 F350 after owning it for 3 weeks...but needing money and going to college got in it's way. :dunno

I will honestly say that I will not miss the smell of the truck.

A healthy IDI Diesel will have a very nice smell to it. Fresh, crisp and just a hint of sour almost like the fresh morning dew.

DragRag

Reaction score
-Drool-Drool:rock::rock:-Showtits-Showtits Although I did like her more with the WHITE RIMS AND THE BED!! lol
They are white in the rear at this point, but now there are four of them on the back. I will switch back to white in the front when I get some dually front hubs to put on it. I will post a progress pic maybe this weekend. I have a 100 gallon tank on the bed now to.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey nicknd I think there's no need to drive a gasser if you like the older trucks and like the IDI. We have members who can successfully start these things with no block heater in Canada and Alaska, albeit not with 15W-40 oil and iffy glow plugs. The IDIs would be so much simpler to maintain yourself once you get the hang of it. To me messing with a gas motor is a disaster...all the emissions control crap even on my Dad's 86 Isuzu and my old 89 Ranger made them a nightmare compared to my 86 6.9 but you have to do what's right for you.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Funny this was posted at this time. Burt you got me!
I've felt lika a trator this week. My first Ford (I had 4 chevys plowing at that time) was a 1984 -I loved the color turquoise & teal.I got it because I needed a truck then not tomorrow but then.There was this ford deisel that I had refused to buy for a while,I bought it. Put it to work fell in love with it.Shortened it then it got hit by a van so I had the cab redone (painted it just straght teal) & built a low profile flatbed dump for it. Plowed with it hauled over the road with it.drove it as my daily driver. Then when I needed a dually (& one with air ) I ripped its heart otu and put it into the crew cab dually.The dually has served well but both Deb & myself never felt it had the personality of the "ole 84". About 2 years ago I was depressed - knew I would probably never put an engine back in it (I had pulled some parts outta it for the Brat CC) so I sole it for a little over junk price .Monday down the road came the rear half of it (converted to a trailer),the guy wanted me to set up the electrical for the dump sincs I had built the bed & hoist. I couldnt look at the amputated frame without a guilty feeling.
THANKS for reminding me that my name is Bennedict Arnold.

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was airing up all my tires today at a tire store I frequent when some guy started asking if my truck was turbo, he told me he has a 2002 and the injectors were expensive, he was speaking in spanish, He also told me he had a 1995 without turbo, I told him I would show him under the hood, when I was finished, I tried to find him but he took off I guess.

Javier

nicknd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey nicknd I think there's no need to drive a gasser if you like the older trucks and like the IDI. We have members who can successfully start these things with no block heater in Canada and Alaska, albeit not with 15W-40 oil and iffy glow plugs. The IDIs would be so much simpler to maintain yourself once you get the hang of it. To me messing with a gas motor is a disaster...all the emissions control crap even on my Dad's 86 Isuzu and my old 89 Ranger made them a nightmare compared to my 86 6.9 but you have to do what's right for you.

You have changed my mind. ;Sweet

I really like 4wd, but If I can't find a nice, rust free 6.9 or 7.3 IDI (in 4wd), I will settle for a 2wd one, it's only gonna be a summer vehicle anyway. I like these things too much to put them through a Michigan winter.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Funny this was posted at this time. Burt you got me!
I've felt lika a trator this week. My first Ford (I had 4 chevys plowing at that time) was a 1984 -I loved the color turquoise & teal.I got it because I needed a truck then not tomorrow but then.There was this ford deisel that I had refused to buy for a while,I bought it. Put it to work fell in love with it.Shortened it then it got hit by a van so I had the cab redone (painted it just straght teal) & built a low profile flatbed dump for it. Plowed with it hauled over the road with it.drove it as my daily driver. Then when I needed a dually (& one with air ) I ripped its heart otu and put it into the crew cab dually.The dually has served well but both Deb & myself never felt it had the personality of the "ole 84". About 2 years ago I was depressed - knew I would probably never put an engine back in it (I had pulled some parts outta it for the Brat CC) so I sole it for a little over junk price .Monday down the road came the rear half of it (converted to a trailer),the guy wanted me to set up the electrical for the dump sincs I had built the bed & hoist. I couldnt look at the amputaed frame without a guilty feeling.
THANKS for reminding me that my name is Bennedict Arnold.

Your name is Bill and you are no traitor my friend. I had to sell my old 51 too, some pressing bills some time ago. I still miss my little truck. I have in my desk at my workshop a picture with my wife standing at the side of my old faithful truck. Sometimes I think: "If I had my 51 I'll put a 6.9 in it".

Burt.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
Preciate man. ;Sweet

hey its freakin cool man i sold my cummins and i should have gotten a ford idi but i got a durango that anit worth s@@@ cuz it needs lil things done and i hate old rusted spare tires i gotta change it cuz one tire kicked the bucket when i was on the freeway goin to chillicothe to tumbleweed and wow it was a fun ride let me tell ya me and my wife in the front seats she said that was more fun then a rollercoaster lol but...

ok how much of a lump of dead pres. ?????:dunno maybe 4k to 5k?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online