IDI "What if..." Durability and build question

Wood

Reaction score
Wood, these heads outflow the 6.0 psd head. Which it should, but look at the power levels of 6.0's with stock heads.....

see yeah, im simply regurgitating info i have read. i dont know which head flows more. i didnt see numbers.

also, i was assuming with the precup and what not that they just flowed poorly. is the design more volume or velocity orientated?

so with that said, if fuel being there and we could keep gaskets between the heads, then whats keeping these engines from producing 6.0 power levels with say a 6.0 turbo?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My .020 over 7.3 engine block was sonic checked and the thinnest spot was .175 thickest was .260 plenty meat for boost and even a few more rebuilds.
The 7.3 thin block theory is just that.
Any CAT diesel with replaceable cylinders still get pin holes from cavitation from poor coolant pratices and those cylinders are thick like .300 thick.

So the huge worry of a thin 7.3 not debunked but you have to check your cylinders with a sonic checker then you know what you own...

Javier

I too had mine sonic checked before I bored it .030. The problem with the 7.3s cavitating is not just the thin walls, its the high compression they run.

The key is proper coolant maintenance. A 7.3 is a 6.9 bored .140 over( I think) and bigger head bolts.

Any diesel can cavitate as mentioned. My friend had a dump truck with a Series 60 Detriot in it and it cavitated.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
The Victor Reinz seems to be the better gasket these days but... I have been using felpro without any failures too. A sprayon coat of Hylomar would be better than copper sprayon. If you had a copper gasket custom made it will not handle the heat cycles and start leaking very soon.

Copied from an old post. And the reason I am staying away from copper shim gaskets, aka the easiest way to change compression ratios.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wood, that I can't answer. That info is on fte. Either racinAndDrummin or nmb2 did the head flow check. IIRC.

Your last paragraph has it's own answer. Fuel and hg's. After those, who knows.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
No ones ever blown a head gasket once they get studs. The reason we cant produce power currently is all due to lack of fuel, everything that's been done has held up to all the power we throw at them but we just cant get the fuel. (studs and a cam and these engines can handle/make 450whp IF you can get the fuel no ones been able to get enough fuel for more then that)

Wood

Reaction score
Copied from an old post. And the reason I am staying away from copper shim gaskets, aka the easiest way to change compression ratios.

i have read this post what makes our heat cycles any different than any other car? my drag car runs thru the traps at about 1250* and has done it probably over 1000 times. im really thinking about trying it on my new motor. i have seen pictures of the heads. i dont see any reason a nicely cut o-ring shouldnt work. just use lots of right stuff...

i would also stay away from shim gaskets. from what my dad tells me anytime material needs to be removed from either head or block the pistons need to be fly cut to the equivalent...

Wood, that I can't answer. That info is on fte. Either racinAndDrummin or nmb2 did the head flow check. IIRC.

Your last paragraph has it's own answer. Fuel and hg's. After those, who knows.

thanks jasper. real new to these, finally got the pink slip to mine today... just trying to learn.

Wood

Reaction score
hmmmm, reallly? not trying to be a smartass but i didnt know that, thought people were still popping them with studs...

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought here, seeing that not enough fuel is the problem what about adding nitrous? i know there are diesels out there running nitrous

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I guess I should've clarified.
I meant mainly fuel, but when we do reach those levels, the HG's could become a problem again.
But now that I think of it, it may not.

The 6.0's have four head bolts per cylinder.
The 7.3's have six.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
just a thought here, seeing that not enough fuel is the problem what about adding nitrous? i know there are diesels out there running nitrous

nitrous isnt a fuel its an oxidizer. It does the same thing as a turbo with the cooling effect of water injection

Wood

Reaction score
I guess I should've clarified.
I meant mainly fuel, but when we do reach those levels, the HG's could become a problem again.
But now that I think of it, it may not.

The 6.0's have four head bolts per cylinder.
The 7.3's have six.

dont think number of bolts has a lot to do with it

its all about black and head design, ie; deck thickness/webbing, water jacket placement, head bolt placement, distance between cylinder walls, heads design to clamp more evenly.

its a matter of design, and if i remember right my dad told me these have thin decks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jumping into this late. If we make the assumption that fuel is the limiting factor, then propane injection should be hugely beneficial right? Providing you have the air/boost to burn it?

Feel free to ignore me.

WisdomWarlord

Reaction score
Man oh man what a great conversation! I went and played with my bicycles all weekend and I come back to all this!

So, my take so far is that because of the fuel limit, noone has real-world experience to draw from on these engines much past 450whp. Im not counting the hypermax build because it seems like vaporware and horse tales to me.
But there is lots of solid empirical evidence and related info that says if the fuel problem can be solved, a reasonably reliable 600+whp IDI should be possible with stock block, crank, rods, pistons and heads, with proper prep, coatings, studs and girdles.
Am I reading all this right so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online