IDI vs PSD flexplate/crank differences?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, I want to know if the E4OD flexplate from my 97 stroker will bolt up to my 91 IDI??? Just trying to decide if it's worth it to keep my spare - good working 97 E4OD or sell it. I have the ECM for it as well along with the 6 bolt torque converter and PSD flexplate. I've been told that my 91 E4OD has a 4 bolt converter like the C6 (off a 6.9L) I have as well. To me it would seem I should use the 97 trans, 91 flexplate and torque and the 97 ECM unless the PSD flexplate will work then I'd just use all the 97 gear.:dunno

My 91 E4OD works great, but with 410,000KM on it and no way to know if it's ever been touched I'm thinking a spare would be nice to have.;Sweet

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy answer - NO. The IDI and PSD flexplates are absolutely not interchangeable.

You have to use the 4 stud flexplate and converter with the IDI.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
So is the crank different between the IDI vs PSD? What makes them not interchange - bolt size, number of bolts, balance issue???:dunno Just like to know the difference for my "mental roladex".:D

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is not one single part in common between the IDI and PSD (excepting front accesories).

One of the 6 studs of a PSD converter would be right in the middle of a balance hole on the IDI flexplate.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oil squirters are the same. The pistons are the same size but still differant too. The rods are the same size top and bottom and the length but the bottom width needs to have about 130 thousands ground off the width and still have enough meat left to keep the bolts intack. Otherwise getting a set of psd rods that are not drilled and doing the finishing yourself. Yes.... Things can be made to fit but true not much outside the oil squirters will cross directly over as posted.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
All right, so if I used the 91 flexplate and torque along with the 97 tranny and 97 ECM I should be good to go right?

Almost. You need to use the tranny computer that's in the truck and change the solenoid pack. Or upgrade to the 94 computer.

The 97 computer is a different animal. Designed to run the engine and tranny as a unit.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Upgrade to the 94 Computer eh... Would a 96 ECM work? I have a 96 diesel E40D as well, it's supposed to be toast but I do have the ECM for it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Cool, I could scratch one of those up. My buddy has a transmission business, he hates the E4OD....He told me "if it's working good don't even change the fluid or you'll be sorry" which goes against everything I believe in as a truch tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online