idi turbo compared to PSD

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
My buddy has a PSD in his 98 f350 plow truck and he thinks that when I finish installing my turbo that he will still have more torque and power??? I am installing the following.....factory 94 ats turbo with 3" up pipe to the turbo housing, 3" to 4" exhaust with MBRP straight through muffler, early PSD intercooler and large air breather on my international single axle. What do you guys think?? Is he right?

YEP

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
this has been posted a bunch of times in the past, but it's still the only video i know of, of a hopped up IDI vs a stock PSD

You must be registered for see images attach

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure there is a whole lot you can do to your IDI that is going to make it outperform HP and TQ wise over a newer engine. The thing that will happen is that, you are going to be able to maintain it longer on a limited budget than you could a PSD. The engine in my old truck is being pushed about as far as I feel safe to push it and I still don't believe it would outrun a PSD with just a powerpuck or something on it. I am sure I could cram a little more boost to mine and it would probably hold together for a while, but it seems pretty reliable where it is, and I would hate to destroy a motor that runs so good. I have actually given strong consideration to setting the old truck up for pulling but I will probably pull the 7.3l out and put a 5.9L in there, just because I know it has more potential. I would hate to dump a bunch of money into the old motor to compete with the newer engines, just to tear it up and be left without anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent