idi turbo compared to PSD

racecar

Reaction score
My buddy has a PSD in his 98 f350 plow truck and he thinks that when I finish installing my turbo that he will still have more torque and power??? I am installing the following.....factory 94 ats turbo with 3" up pipe to the turbo housing, 3" to 4" exhaust with MBRP straight through muffler, early PSD intercooler and large air breather on my international single axle. What do you guys think?? Is he right?

sassyrel

Reaction score
My buddy has a PSD in his 98 f350 plow truck and he thinks that when I finish installing my turbo that he will still have more torque and power??? I am installing the following.....factory 94 ats turbo with 3" up pipe to the turbo housing, 3" to 4" exhaust with MBRP straight through muffler, early PSD intercooler and large air breather on my international single axle. What do you guys think?? Is he right?
turn up the hairdryer pressure--to 12 max under load, then turn the fuel up two flats, and hang on--but doing this--you better have a pyro and boost gauge--or your asking for trouble--and no one that i know of has yet to see how hard they can push a actual turbo engine--with the mods, and a intercooler to----------you going to be the new travis?????:D:D:D and ya--unless he has a chip--youll beat him--

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Sorry to say it, that PSD will still win. Do a search on this site, there are chassis dyno numbers from one of the meets showing the IDI and the PSD.

The only way an IDI will beat a stock PSD is with more fuel, more cam, more turbo. Everything is sized for 275hp at the flywheel for the IDI, and 7.3PSDs are underrated from the factory. You need to smack that motor with some real boost pressure if you want to win it.

You best hope that one of the sensors takes a crap on your guys truck in a race.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score

Are you doing this to a medium duty??

If you simply crank the IP to 100% you will easily out power his truck.

I raced (in the 94) a healthy and stock 89 T bird with 302 4spd auto and about 75,000mi I could pull on him right off the line. We held right together to about 75 when we let out. The IDI comes to life when you add a turbo and crank the pump to my recomended level.

Last edited:

racecar

Reaction score
It is a medium duty truck....I am already running 1200 degree temps on long pulls loaded. My buddy was boasting about how much power his PSD has, and keeps telling me I should have just installed a PSD even if it means running a computer. I have seen this question on the forum but what do you guys think I will have for torque at the crank?

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
If you turn pump all the way up I am thinking atleast 550lbs
I can pull a small but decent grade with mine at 30,000+ and 55mph and only loose a couple mph.
If you decide to install another motor make sure it has the inline configuration!
How do you drive that beast without a turbo!!!??
We need pics;Sweet

racecar

Reaction score
Driving with out a turbo is fine as long as it is empty and it is all down hill. I have dummied everything in all I need is a couple of pipes bent to fit....I used 1/2 plate and welded stainless 3" pipe that I squared to make it fit the rectangle intake housing...I hope it will take the heat. I ran into a little mounting issue!! I am not sure if I should let the exhaust hold the turbo in place since I am mounting above the valve cover and not using the cast piece the stock unit has to hold it to the intake. Should I secure it to the motor? Soon at is done I will take some pics.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
You can try to make a bracket that mounts to the back of the head and then holds the up pipe in place. Possibly from one of the intake bolts. Or both.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
It can hang from the exhaust plumbing so long as its up to the task of dealing with the stress. When I got my S-1600 it already had the old style ATS kit installed and they had to make a small dog house to fit the down pipe/exhaust housing. I turned that into a MUCH larger dog house when I installed the HY-35.

BTW, if you dont use the factory mount/drain ill be happy to buy it from ya.

racecar

Reaction score
I was thinking of mounting it off of the head and onto the up pipe but I am worried about the vibration cracking the stainless pipe.

1320cummins soon as i finish the install I will let you know...just the incase the turbo does not work as well as I hope.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think with the turbo and IC you're going to have a lot of crank HP. I think the bone stock PSD in 94-97 was 215HP at the crank not sure on the ft-lbs. If you want the most out of that motor you need to give agenem a call about the Moose Pump, unless you have a good local builder who will build you a "hot" DB2 big plunger pump or the necessary skills to do it right yourself. You'll run out of fuel way before the engine overheats or you run out of EGTs with the turbo and IC it will be night and day difference. Reklund had a DPS pump and BB stock injectors with no IC and an ATS 088 turbo and would hit 15 psi of boost wide open, loaded with that setup after adding the intercooler it would barely tickle 10 psi yet his EGTs were way down. I'm not sure what the Aurora 2000 ATS he installed did with the setup. Agnem is also running his Moose Pump with Moose Misters in his 83 with a Hypermax turbo and intercooler, not real sure what kind of boost and EGT he's seeing. Will you beat your friend? Possibly...the stock PSD numbers are a little anemic but if you search for the rally dyno thread, you'll see some pretty impressive 94-97 PSD dyno numbers I want to say over 200 at the wheels and with only very slight mods IIRC. Best IDI #s were from Hesutton's truck at 185HP with the DPS fuel system and a Banks Sidewinder. Heath isn't running an intercooler yet so there is more to be gained out of his truck.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Flowing more fuel than what the BB injectors and stock IP will flow would put your stock wrist pins at major risk for failure. Especially in a mid range truck.
Just trying to save you some of the hastle that I have dealt with.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well being a previous owner of both a factory turbo 94 and my 95 psd ill tell ya that with my chip on economy ill mop the street with your truck.sorry but i had to say it

DragRag

Reaction score
6.0 Power with a chip is even better.I raced a Porch with my 05' king ranch Dually with 4.10's. That guy was crying like a baby. I don't drive an IDI for the raw power though. To be honest I drive it because it is very inexpensive to operate, and maintain. That is the real advantage. Go price a PSD injector, I can buy another used 7.3l for what a set of injectors cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online