Identifying IDI 6.9 or 7.3

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I know I saw a post giving all the engine codes and injection pump settings for the 6.9 and 7.3 giving a way to tell them appart.
We're looking at a low mile rebuilt IDI engine, but its showing all the signs of a 6.9. Spade GP's, tubed IP cover with no tach probe. But the sticker says Ford factory replacement (or something like that) 7.3L.
Help please

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, it probably is a 6.9 with all that, but it could also be a long block 7.3 where the engine and heads are the only thing 7.3 on that block. If you want to know for sure, find a headbolt on it. If its a 6.9 it'll have a 12pt 7/16" set of headbolts if a 7.3 it'll have 12 pt 1/2" bolts. That is the surefire way with all the swaps, longblock replacements etc.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, thats one sure way to know what it is. The block serial numbers for the 7.3 start with 500,079 and end at 1,116,330. Then the 7.3 turbo block starts at 1,116,331 and goes up from that. So anything lower than 500,079 is a 6.9 motor. I have the block casting numbers also if you need them but I feel this is what you need...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
It was a 6.9 truck, which is why this is so hard because the guy very easily could have just put all the 6.9 stuff on it to keep from having to buy new 7.3 stuff to make it correct.
The guy we're getting it from was told it was a 7.3, it has the 7.3 sticker on it, but everything from timing cover to GP's are 6.9.

I guess the more important question is, how much difference will we notice with putting this 6.9 in my moms CC F350 factory turbo 7.3? Because that is where it would go. THis truck has been plagued all year with issues and we're just done with it, and were going to rebuild the engine, but this would be nice to throw in and get it atleast running.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.9 can be setup to make more power than the 7.3 ever imagined. A 7.3 is nothing more than a 6.9 with I think 130 thousandth overbore to it. In another forum I'm at the Mod there has a 6.9 that I'm going to copy when I rebuild my old 6.9. I think the last post I saw of his was he was running over 20 pounds of boost. As it is with my 87 I have a simple Hyperax Pulse Turbo and am getting about 8-9 pounds out of it and only getting up to 900 degrees when I push it on hills.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that the block is not one of the early 6.9's that is prone to cracking at the block heater.

There is not enough power difference between the two motors that you would ever notice it.