ideas as to y my cruise does not work

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
i replaced my cam sensor a while ago after the truck died on me. it runs prefectly fine but the cruise quit working. then the ts chip i had fired the pcm i dunno y i got rid of it and haven't had a problem i was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Check all the tail lights, including the brake lights. Sometimes an open in one of the bulbs will keep cruise from working.

Of course it could just be the switch in the steering wheel

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the parking brake pedal isn't pushed down a hair too before you rip things apart. Happened to me about a month ago when I was working near the fuse box and stumped me for a day. Come to find out the indicator light in the dash was burnt out and didn't let me know the brake was on:mad:

Might want to check the brake light switch too and check if the brake lights are on all the time.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
i replaced my cam sensor a while ago after the truck died on me. it runs prefectly fine but the cruise quit working. then the ts chip i had fired the pcm i dunno y i got rid of it and haven't had a problem i was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this

Real common to have a clock spring problem and the cruise not work.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
:confused: Ok how bout this in english, or did I miss something...Been wrenching for over 25 years and you lost me.:dunno

Really? You never heard of the clock spring in the steering column, you must be working on da BIG trucks judging by your user name. A clock spring is the assembly in the steering column just under the steering wheel that the circuitry for the airbag, horn and cruise control buttons run through. Its purpose is to allow for electrical contact from the air bag, horn and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to the wiring in the column. It's REAL common for one of the circuits in this "clock spring" as it's called, to break over time and then your cruise control, horn or airbag may not function properly. I hope this helps tonkadoctor....if you need more info a search on google will turn up days worth of reading material about clock springs in vehicles. ;Sweet ;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? You never heard of the clock spring in the steering column, you must be working on da BIG trucks judging by your user name. A clock spring is the assembly in the steering column just under the steering wheel that the circuitry for the airbag, horn and cruise control buttons run through. Its purpose is to allow for electrical contact from the air bag, horn and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to the wiring in the column. It's REAL common for one of the circuits in this "clock spring" as it's called, to break over time and then your cruise control, horn or airbag may not function properly. I hope this helps tonkadoctor....if you need more info a search on google will turn up days worth of reading material about clock springs in vehicles. ;Sweet ;Sweet

Thanks, that'll do.;Sweet

Spent a lot of time working on and driving the big trucks, both civilian and military, but even as much as I've done on cars and pickups I've never had to be inside the steering column, even when I worked in a bodyshop, but that was before airbags too.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Real common to have a clock spring problem and the cruise not work.

:thanks: Hamster :cheers:......my cruise is Tango Uniform and everthing else is OK fine....even pulled the steering wheel pad and cleaned the switches.....forgot to check a fraction further---:idiot:LOL

Nice to see ya posting ;Sweet

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
:thanks: Hamster :cheers:......my cruise is Tango Uniform and everthing else is OK fine....even pulled the steering wheel pad and cleaned the switches.....forgot to check a fraction further---:idiot:LOL

Nice to see ya posting ;Sweet

Geo
no clock spring in an OBS
keep lookin.
Nick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online