I Think I Messed Up

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
So I finally got around to working on the clutch in my '92. Quick background on the problem. Less than half the required travel measured at the clutch fork. No external leaks anywhere. Slave cylinder changed approx 4 years ago. Pedal linkage/attachment wear accepatable. Original MC so I figured it gave up and was bypassing/leaking internal. So I trot down to my trusty local Napa store and come home with a new MC. Installation goes smooth, now I figure another hour to bleed and I'll be back on the road. Two days and five hours later and I'm still not back to as much travel as before I started. It seems like it's making it's own air in the system! I tried normal bleeding... fast and slow. Vacuum bleeding. Combination pedal and vacuum. Gravity (5 or 6 hours). Nothing. Talked to my friend who owns a pretty reputable auto shop, including diesel, he doesn't even mess with changing components on those systems. He's lost too many man hours. He only changes the complete sytem and only from Ford because they are already charged with fluid and bled. There's my big mistake. Now I'm on plan F and considering making a closed loop bleeder using the old MC cap and and an old pump type oil can, putting a fitting with hose in place of the bleeder at the slave.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Plan G will be starting all over with the $200+ complete setup from Ford. Don't want to give up and go that route yet. This will not defeat me! :backoff

Tom

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
type in "bleeding clutch" in the search feature for the basement and you will find the thread started by DeeseSR. there's alot of good ideas in it. firefox is not allowing me to cut and paste a linky here, so you will have to do some work. take a look at my suggestion on how to bleed a clutch there and see if it makes any sense to you. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle