I searched..sputters after idling for a while..

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the turbo on the van and all that is peachy..drove it..WOW..

anyway...at WOT I am getting some black smoke so I figure I dont need to turn the fuel up (might be problem..but I had it turned up NA and smoked a bit)

she's been cranky and the batteries keep draining themselves (problem 2..just need new batts..)...so when I get it jumped and started I leave it run for a while (45min+ while workin on other stuff)...once I get in her to move her around sometimes she will sputter and act like its not gettin any fuel..but clears up if I give it more pedal and then it wants to take off..

filter is fairly new..(could use a change im sure)..and its got good diesel w a little WVO (filtered) in it...

my question is...

with the fuel not being turned up..and the turbo being on it..am I loading the intake or am I starving it once its warm?...I do have some white smoke..but I did the crankase vent bypass into the exhaust so I dunno if its vapor or if its lean..

anyone?

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Lean/Rich doesn't apply to a diesel, since there is no throttle "valve", the engine can get as much air as it wants. As far as the problem, start with the fuel filter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A diesel can't "load up the intake". There isn't any fuel entering the intake path. The fuel is injected into the precup chambers only.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lean/Rich doesn't apply to a diesel, since there is no throttle "valve", the engine can get as much air as it wants. As far as the problem, start with the fuel filter.
+1 on what he said.
you got air in the lines. what you're experiencing is what happens when you're purging the air out of the fuel system.
check for wetness around the injectors for starters, if no evidence of leakage is found, you're going to need to put in clear pvc line to chase down the bubbles.
good luck.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if my selector valve is leakin..or just that little bit of WVO has eaten the lines...I'll swap the fuel filter (cant hurt a bit!) and then start swapin whats left of the softlines..;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online