I need some big which help.

Reaction score
I need some big winch help.

No I am not trying to get away from a fat girl. (All though they do scare me). I am trying like hell to get some good recovery equipment. I have the tow rigs now I need trailers. Once I have them, I will need some big winches to mount on them. I know very little about the big boys. I want to mount one on a 53 foot flat bed that will haul heavy trucks and equipment. I need another one to mount on a 40 foot gooseneck that will haul lighter trucks and equipment. The forty footer will be towed by my F350 and the fifty three footer by a M915. So has you can see, I need some big winches capable of dragging non running loads up on the trailer decks. Should I go hydraulic or electric? Should they have their own power source or draw from the tow vehicles’ power? What are the maintenance issues I should consider? If one breaks in the middle of a recovery what options do I have to get it running and complete the recovery? What cable and material size should I be using for these types of jobs? Where should I look at as far as buying these winches? And most importantly I need a price range. I have more questions to follow, but these are a good enough start for now.

Oh, these are my tow vehicles.

Attachments

• M915 1.jpg
    M915 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7
  • SUNP0008.JPG
    SUNP0008.JPG
    836.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Would you like to adopt me when you get home :D I'm house broke and have papers! LOL

Winch wise, for the loads you are considering...go hydraulic ;Sweet
Loads of that weight and runtime will destroy electric winches.....you are entering towing and recovery territory and have you ever seen a electric winch on a wrecker?

I see a tranny mounted PTO pump in your future :D

get up with Towkitty or F450SD {Rich}

Reaction score
That could work. I can biuld an extra stall on the barn I plan to biuld.

Hydro is what I figured the big trailer will need. I mostly need ideas on how to make it work.

I figured the biggest electric winch I could get might work on the smaller rig. I am not sure though. If I went hydro on the smaller one, how would I do it?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
We have a 45' dovetail we use for recovery at my place of employment. It has a 40 ton hydraulic winch on it that works great. You can drag anything onto that trailer. It used to be powered by a Wisconsin V4 that ran a hydraulic pump. We decided to dump that thing (very unreliable) and put a wetline on the tractor (very expensive but more rliable and stronger). We have a lowboy that is self contained that is powered by a 13hp Honda that works well. the little honda will jack up a JD945 excavator with no problem, its just a little slow. It will be cheaper to go with the self contained setup but it will eat a little deck space for the motor. Either way you are gonna spend a few bucks.
Good Luck
Ken

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Look around here. They have both electric & hydro winches, but as GEO said, electric isn't the ticket. I've bought stuff from this place when I had my towing business. The 1000 Series might be what you want for the smaller trailer, about half way down the page.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
my biggest suggestion would be to look at oilfield rigs for ideas and perhaps watch a movie of a rig move to see the possibilities of what a piece of iron like that is capable of for the larger equipment and setup something similiar to a winch tractor setup and set up your 53' highboy to work as a float and put a roll on the rear end of it and than the sky is the limit and mount the winch as close to the cab as possible on the tractor and look at these options http://www.team-twg.com/en/tulsa-winch/default.htm