i need help ASAP IDing a ZF5!!!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need to find out how to tell what ZF i have like 2 days ago to order a PTO for it.but the tag is gone off the tranny.so is there anyway to find out what i have?or what i need?i havent been able to work since the belts came off last week.i have the money to get the PTO i want but im also broke and hungry.i need this truck to get back to work and i will starve before i buy another set of belts for the hydraulic pump.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
From what I've seen both my 92 and 88 ZF's looked identical and the gearing was identical as well according to the tag's. Mine are S-42's.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can, put a clutch disk on the input shaft, and make a chalk mark at the 12:00 o'clock position, and also mark the position of the output shaft with a marker or something.

Then put it in first gear and rotate the clutchdisk one revolution at a time, and watch the output shaft. Keep a count of how many times you rotate the clutch disk until the output shaft marks line up again.

There are 5 different 1st gear ratios. The S42 came with 4.65 or 5.72 1st gear. The S47 wst gear ratios are 4.14, 5.08, and 5.72.

So, if it takes just over 4 turns of the disk to get 1 turn of the output shaft it is a 4.14 S47, just over 4-1/2 would be an S42, just over 5 would be an S47 and if it is just about 5-3/4 it could be either an S42 or an S47.

If that is the case then it is going to be nearly impossible to tell which one it is - because all 5 of the gear ratios are the same on the 5.72 S42 & S47...

Hope that helps....

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tranny is in the truckk i know it has a hell of a low 1st gear and at 70 mph my tach reads 3,000 rpm

7.3shrk

Probably the best way to confirm this is to take of the PTO cover, and count the teeth on the counter shaft that the PTO gear matches to. From there, you can either confirm on the internet, or the company you are buying it from should have the info in their books.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
I'm looking in my Chelsa catalogue right now.
There are four Zf choices and three corresponding Chelsa kits.
I'm going to type it verbatim.
TYPE /(RATIO) /KIT /PTO DRIVER
S5-42 (5.72/.076) ZF4 45tooth
S5-42 (6.56) ZF5 44tooth
S5-42 (7.5gas) ZF4 45tooth
S4-42 (7.55dsl) ZF6 47tooth
I'm afraid you're going to have to get dirty.
Only way to accurately tell is to pull the PTO cover and count the teeth on the gear. I've always had the tall 1st gear and it took me three gears to get through an intersection from a dead stop.
Also, remember you're going to need to get a new hyd pump. mime mount directly on the back of the PTO and has no aux. shafts. I've worked on units that had the aux shafts and they always scare me. Why? very easy to get hurt when the truck is stationary and the PTO is engaged with the motor running. I'll keep my info with me tomorrow just in case you want me to fax the corresponding pages.
good luck!;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tranny came out of an 88 f250 4x4 diesel.ill pull the covers today i guess.nothing is ever easy for me

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
When I was looking at a PTO for my truck, they asked me the tooth count. That was with the T19, but I didn't buy one because someday, I want to stuff a ZF behind mine as well.

And yeah, you and I always seem to have to do it the hard way!!! :) Good luck bud, hope it works out for you.