i know i'm a doofus.... BUT

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
hey again, guys! i've been reading this forum for quite some time now, and i have a pressing issue i feel like you gentlemen could help me with(search didn't get me to what i was looking for). i have a 1993 f350 CCLB 4wd IDI(non-turbo) with a zf5(swapped from an e40D but the previous owner seems to have done it reasonably well with the correct parts). she's at 298k miles and still chugging like it should. HOWEVER my front suspension is now so badly sagged out that the cab literally rides on the bump stops on the axle and it's eating up tires pretty bad. upon doing some research i found that there are several different options as far as front suspension is concerned and quite frankly i'm not sure what to order. i definitely need new leaf springs and shocks, but how do i determine what specific ones i need? currently it rides like a bull with a firecracker up it's ass; 8 seconds at 40mph sounds like nothing to some, but it's an entirely different story in this thing.... i would really appreciate any helpful input on this matter because i am helplessly in love with my truck but i fear some "domestic violence" is imminent if i can't source out the right parts to get my baby back up to par. it's driving me crazy!

thank you!
-Andrew-

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I think you just have to make sure the springs are for a diesel truck. There shouldn't be any differences between the early stroke trucks and the OBS IDIs springs. If you're good with fabrication, some people like to put the superduty (99+) leaf springs on for a better ride. They are approx 2" longer though.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but I'm having a hard time seeing the tires being eaten up due to saggy springs on an f350. Maybe if you had a dana 50 front end but not with a 60. I've had plenty of d350s with slap worn out springs that rode horrible but never wore any tires.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but I'm having a hard time seeing the tires being eaten up due to saggy springs on an f350. Maybe if you had a dana 50 front end but not with a 60. I've had plenty of d350s with slap worn out springs that rode horrible but never wore any tires.

The tires are probably getting flatspots.

Springs don't cost that much, but I'd lift that truck :sly

I'd like to instal a Dana 60 under the front of mine someday.

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
in the past 5k miles it's eaten TWO Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 235/85/16 class E's and them puppies ain't cheap! at any rate the front passenger side also sheared the bracket that holds the shock absorber clean off the frame. i noticed the tire was rubbing the shock , and anyone familiar knows that is pretty much impossible due to the way the mounting bracket is designed. so with two totally sagged out leafs and only one shock absorber (probably blown) between the two sides, how could it NOT be eating up tires? the latest replacement has lost 50% tread in roughly 1000 miles.

i'd like to order new leafs today, if anybody has a good source for new leafs i would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. it's not my first rodeo (might be my second :rotflmao !!) but if it'd be more cost effective to lift it than replace the factory components i'd be alright with that?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
are your front springs making a smiley face or a sad face? replace springs and throw in some bilstien shocks at all 4 corners. could also do an RSK and superduty springs up front for lift and a better ride. is your truck "normally" at stock ride height?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, lets get some data on this rig before we throw ideas out at it.

FIRST this trucks front end.

IS IT A SOLID AXLE? If so then something is drastically wrong. besides springs!

Is it a TTB meaning the axle is actually two parts swinging independently this axle is KNOWN for worn bushings and so forth that cause the wheels to camber inwards and you end up wearing tyres off like crazy on the inside edge

Your description of eating tyres, what / how is this happening? Where is the degradation occurring?

You speak of broken shock mount this sounds like the axle compressed the bump stop and subsequently snapped that shock bracket off too.

Can you get pictures of whats going on?

Oh and BTW, If I havent already....

Welcome to Oil Burners!

Al

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I put a set of add-a-leaf in the front of my truck for appx 2 1/2 lift. Why not put some in yours and restore the ride height if your springs are sagging that bad. You can get new shock brackets and bolt them to the frame also. Then have the alignment checked.

John

WhiteMystery93

Coal Factory
Reaction score
the springs are making a sad face, and the truck normally sits with the ass end up in the air way higher than the front.