I HATE POT METAL!!!

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinkin what moron thought that using pot metal to make the ignition switch rack?cookoo of course that had to be what broke, not the switch, so if ever anyones lever on the column becomes suddenlly unnessary your ig system is fine but your rack broke in half thanks to pot metal.
-cuss :shoot: :shoot: POT METAL! -cuss hey why not make it out of plastic! maybe that would suck more!

maybe some jb weld will hold----- if not theres the local junkyard. AHHHHHHHHHH! PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yep, I agree.
Pretty much a toss away part that I think most of us had to replace one some time or another.
I have replaced the ingnition actuators in both my trucks.
After seeing the amount of crud that build up in the guide channel, I intend to make that a regular maintenance(annual) cleansing issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just another of fords better ideas of how to really crap something up. I have broken one myself.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, mine broke in November, and I just didn't feel like pulling it all apart out there in the rain/snow/cold, so I just wired a pushbutton to the starter solenoid. It's down beside the glow plug toggle, so I just flip the key on to turn on the ignition power, hit the glow toggle, and then hit the start button.

Works fine, maybe I'll fix the key part when it's a bit warmer...

Zigg :)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Im thinkin what moron thought that using pot metal to make the ignition switch rack?cookoo of course that had to be what broke, not the switch, so if ever anyones lever on the column becomes suddenlly unnessary your ig system is fine but your rack broke in half thanks to pot metal.
-cuss :shoot: :shoot: POT METAL! -cuss hey why not make it out of plastic! maybe that would suck more!

maybe some jb weld will hold----- if not theres the local junkyard. AHHHHHHHHHH! PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

Well, get used to it because it runs rampant in these trucks. Take a look at the engineering marvel that your brake and clutch pedals pivot in!!! Since your signature says you have a 4 spd, you can probably plan on fixing the firewall at some point as well! High quality metal in some of the parts on these trucks, I declare...

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Sorry to be ignorant but what is the part in question? And what must you do to fix it?

The tumbler your key turns moves a rack that pushes the rod that moves the ign switch to run start or acc positions. You basically have to completely disassemble the complete column to clean/fix it.
If you ever have to pull your steering wheel, lube it. If you have put a turn signal switch in, you have seen it and not known it maybe. Not a good view though if I remember right.
James

sassyrel

Reaction score
and lube it with some self drying graphite spray--why--cause anything else will cause trash to build up around it--and break it again--worked at the ford garage---self drying graphite spray--at most bearing places--

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
and lube it with some self drying graphite spray--why--cause anything else will cause trash to build up around it--and break it again--worked at the ford garage---self drying graphite spray--at most bearing places--

Very good idea. I had some powdered graphite that I hit mine with when I was in there, smoothed considerably. I was afraid of dirt/dust collecting in a liquid in there as well.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Very good idea. I had some powdered graphite that I hit mine with when I was in there, smoothed considerably. I was afraid of dirt/dust collecting in a liquid in there as well.

I used powdered graphite as well the last time I changed one. That was two winters ago and it's still smooth, even in the cold. Before it had some lube on it that collected dirt and got very stiff in the cold. I'm sure leading to the broken part.

Tom

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt my tilt column and those stupid little pieces are EXPENSIVE, new bearings, pivot pins , rack and gear and tumbler, 88 bucks wholesale I do have all the part numbers somewhere if needed, and the book says to remove the column to work on the tilt mechanism and guess what??? the book was right!!!
Cant get it apart because the shaft comes out the bottom, not the top. I should have done a tech article on it, sorry:confused:

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciated the junk metal columns when we lost the keys for my buddy's '87 Ranger, in the middle of nowhere. We were able to use the tire iron to smash away the metal surrounding the tumbler till it fell out. Now it gets started by pushing the rack down with a screwdriver!

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciated the junk metal columns when we lost the keys for my buddy's '87 Ranger, in the middle of nowhere. We were able to use the tire iron to smash away the metal surrounding the tumbler till it fell out. Now it gets started by pushing the rack down with a screwdriver!

yea i havent fiked it yet and a screwdriver works fine for me too. however i got a new column for 15 dollars at a junkyard score!:thumbsup:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
the book says to remove the column to work on the tilt mechanism and guess what??? the book was right!!!
Cant get it apart because the shaft comes out the bottom, not the top. I should have done a tech article on it, sorry:confused:

I wonder if there is a difference in body styles for this, I know the rack changed, but I was able to completely tear down my column in-truck. I had to replace the shift collar, had to pull apart the tilt, remove upper shaft etc. Didn't require removal. I do have a similar job ahead of me though in a 90. Guess I will have to do it differently...
James

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea maybe i could have replaced the thing in the truck but it was real hadr to get ti out in a junkyard truck. i ended up breaking somthing to get it out. so i figured id rep;ace the column cause the junkyard is cheap 15 dollars and maybe an hour now to fix all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin