i got questions if u got answers

dixie_stud69

Reaction score
alrite lets start from beginning well replaced head gasket on passenger side in my truck 94 f-250 4x4 7.3 turbo 200k an when i did removed the injection pump an did not mark it so out of time when replaced it well put motor back together an will turn over an will not start well wwont start back at 1st base so tryed remove 1 glow plug an it broke level with motor so dont know if on exhaust stroke or comp strk so after bout last couple of months lost about motor an fixin body damage tired of seein my truck just sit there so decided to take the motor out an completely rebuild it just wanted some input from somoone whos already been through the rebuild process of these motors an if its worth rebuildin it i been told alot just put a 12 valve in it an go from there but b4 mine tore up i loved the idi an the simplicity of the motor all info would b great cause im itchin to get started just wanted to gather as much info as i could b4 i got started

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by tore up?
When you pulled the IP off did you take the tower off where the gear is? If you didn't move the IP gear, then the IP can't be that far out of time. If so then the IP drive gear can get out of time. The only good way to get it back in time is to pull the front cover and put the timing marks in place. There is a Y and a O on the gears, these have to line up with each other, Y to Y and O to O. icanfixall has a pic of this if he chimes in. What makes you think the engine has to have a complete overhaul? Hell, it's just broke in at 200K. New set of injectors maybe a new IP if it wasn't running good before the head gasket problem. Are you keeping the coolant SCA up to prevent cavitation? Why did you have to replace the head gasket? If the broken GP is still in the head, just keep soaking it with PB Blaster or something like that, not WD 40. You might drill it a little and try an EZ out. If your going to drill it out, bring that piston up to TDC, remove the injector, use a shop vac in the injector hole and blast air in the GP hole to suck out any drillings.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First pic is from member icanfixall and is the correct way. 2nd pic is from me and not the correct way. Line up the 0 and the indent on the crank to cam gears. Then the y mark on the cam and injector pump gear needs to line up. There is a way to line it up without the front cover off but you really need to know if its on the exhaust stroke or intake stroke and that method is here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing article.htm

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 16
  • SANY0150.JPG
    SANY0150.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 14

dixie_stud69

Reaction score
i had to replace the head gasket because had a leak at corner of head rite behind thermostat. and reason decided to just go ahead an do complete over haul is i fiddled with this timing on and off for 2 months and still aint runnin figured while truck is in garage these only thoughts is go ahaead rebuild the motor and wont have no worries for at least couple months . and if i do decide go with the rebuild i see diesels all around that has a larger cam in them has anyone ever done this with an idi an was progressive .
anyways thanks for the feed back ive had these thoughts ponderin in my head past couple weeks and wont to do the rite thing not spend alot of money let alone time for a very very large paper weight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle