I finally timed it

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been asking shops around here for 2 years if anyone can time an IDI and they all say that they just do it by ear and haven't seen the Rotunda tool for 20 years.

I decided I didn't feel like letting someone else screw it up, so I advanced it about 1.5 deg. myself. . . I think. The truck starts faster and runs smoother now and the transmission shifts smoother. Also more low end power, but not much.

I have to ask now, is there any easy way to get to those three bolts that hold the IP? The top was easy, but I am not sure I evern did get the passenger side really tight.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tool to loosen and tighten those is a curved like a half moon 9/16 wrench and has to be ground down pretty thin. Then it is still a PITA!!!!

Last edited:

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a boxed end 9/16 and grind it down real thin to get the lower bolts. Still takes some time but makes it a little easier.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just use a reg box wrench I have just resolves its going to be a PITA job. As long as it doesn't knock too bad or chew glow plugs you did good and will pick up some fuel economy and a slight bit of power. If you had a turbo it would boost better too.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I really want a turbo bad, but this is my farm truck and money has been tight. I read the powerstroke turbo thread a few times and think I might try it. The fab wotk in some of those pics is so easy that I will have no trouble with the set up, just have to figure out the oil lines.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I really want a turbo bad, but this is my farm truck and money has been tight. I read the powerstroke turbo thread a few times and think I might try it. The fab wotk in some of those pics is so easy that I will have no trouble with the set up, just have to figure out the oil lines.

You should put your location in your profile. If you were close to me you could get it timed for free... properly. Timing by ear is OK, and you can usually get within 2 degrees of optimum if your good, but those 2 degrees are still power and economy laying on the table, or.... glow plug tips slowly erroding away.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had it there, but I am SE of Cincy, OH so that is a pretty good haul.

Maybe the wife will be up for a trip to chicago next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat