I cant keep up with my Alcoas.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I love my Alcoas, but they are driving me nuts. I took them off and polished they snot out of them last spring and they look like crap again. they wont wash clean, I am going to have to pull and polish again. I think I would like to have them clear coated. Could I just polish them up and have them painted with some clear or would I be better off having them powder coated in clear? I know a guy with the equipment who can spray them for the cost of the clear or the powder coating will set me back around $200.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to use a polish on my peterbilt that worked great. Put it on and just wipe it off! It was called lightning something. I did all my aluminum including the pneumatic trailers

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Clear coating with powder would work the best. I seem to think that's how the factory alcoas came anyway. If you go that route just make sure its a UV rated powder. Some of the cheaper powder coats break down in the sun in no time.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to use a polish on my peterbilt that worked great. Put it on and just wipe it off! It was called lightning something. I did all my aluminum including the pneumatic trailers

Greased Lightning?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard good thing about clear powder coating aluminum wheels, but I've never tried it myself. I think the alloy wheels on my mom's Sienna had a factoury clear coat, and one of them JUST started shedding it (It's a 2002), so now it looks like crap, and they might have to get all of them redone. Powder coating would hold up better I think?

I think it's an interesting idea, what with how expensive the damn things are, may as well ensure they stay looking nice LOL

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wd40 and red scotch bright easy simple then put a protective coat of some kind of wax

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I think there too much trouble and you should give them to me!

I love my Alcoas, but they are driving me nuts. I took them off and polished they snot out of them last spring and they look like crap again. they wont wash clean, I am going to have to pull and polish again. I think I would like to have them clear coated. Could I just polish them up and have them painted with some clear or would I be better off having them powder coated in clear? I know a guy with the equipment who can spray them for the cost of the clear or the powder coating will set me back around $200.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk about the powder coating, I would think the rocks/pebbles would chip the powder coating while going down the road.. Idk.Clear coating sounds like it may wor, just make sure the rims are hospital clean before you paint them. I have a set of alum rims and I cleaned them up with tide and a green scotch brite pad they cleaned up great, one was almost completley brown from brake dust.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Wd40 and red scotch bright easy simple then put a protective coat of some kind of wax

I went and grabbed the scotch brite pads and WD40. Are you sure these pads aren't to abrasive for bare aluminum? I still need to find a wax, forgot to look when I was at work today.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
A buddy if mine just did his cow/log hauler and did all his aluminum with a polish called wicked from the local peterbilt dealership. Said it works awesome.

Last edited:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum is a very reactive metal with oxygen ... it "rusts" quickly. One reason aluminum is so hard to weld is the metal forms a skim coat of corrosion over the surface within moments of being cleaned to bright finish.

When you polish bare aluminum it must have some kind of protective coating to retard the reaction of aluminum with the oxygen in the air. Wax will help, but requires constant attention. There are clear anodizing solutions used in the aviation industry that are more long lasting. The factory fix of clear coat paint isn't permanent because it also breaks down over time, exposure to sunlight, and things like rock chips and dirt abrasions.

Clear coat paint is likely your cheapest route... but once applied, you don't get a second chance to "re-polish". and when the paint coating dulls, your wheels look dull..

Bottom line. Polish your wheels and you then have another maintenance item to look after to stay sharp.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Would it be possible to have the wheels anodized in clear? Would that be better than powder coating?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is such a thing as clear anodizing. Anodizing aluminum is putting a controlled layer of oxidation on the surface. Aluminum oxide is extremely hard. To get different colors, they put different dyes in the acid bath. It's not going look polished if you anodize them.

On Edit: Sorry not trying to step on toes or anything, I didn't see your comment about clear anodizing in aerospace industry. I've never seen that before.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah the chrome and aluminum wheels......... don't miss 'em.the chrome wheels,forget it.those would be shot in a year.aluminum not too bad but the maintenance it took if you wanted them to stay sharp.
with the dually truck and the stainless simulators......oh man.i know some don't like them.i couldn't be more happy.i might need to touch 'em up lightly for a few mins each in the spring,but that's it.always looking like clean sharp chrome.i know,nothing to help here.sorry.this just brings back the memories of trying to keep wheels polished.no easy task.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clear coating that is used on those wheels is outlawed by the EPA for consumer use now, I dont know how ford still gets to buy it. I got tired of the polishing also , and the cheap a$$ ebay wheels that "re conditioned" I ended up ordering 4 brand new alcoa's from ford last week

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance