I am looking into buying a psd and I need your help

clorine12

alschroc
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a PSD. I am on a budget of 15,000. My requirements are an extened cab and 4x4. What years are better than others. Are there anything that is prone to go wrong with these trucks. How many miles are to much. What do you guys like about your trucks. What are some options that I cant live with out and which ones can i drop.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
clorine12 said:
I am looking into buying a PSD. I am on a budget of 15,000. My requirements are an extened cab and 4x4. What years are better than others. Are there anything that is prone to go wrong with these trucks. How many miles are to much. What do you guys like about your trucks. What are some options that I cant live with out and which ones can i drop.

With that budget I would think you would be looking in the 96-97 range of trucks. I just love the one in my signature (how many guys don't like their trucks though). The following is from Steve Baz's PSD webpage...lotta great info on these years (94.5-97 PSDs)

Buying Used Power Stroke Diesels

Things To Look For When Buying A Used Power Stroke Diesel

Turbo:
You might take the air tube off the back of the air filter and look inside of it. If there is dirt build up, that is a very bad sign, so are the turbo fins looking sand blasted or bent. A little oily film is normal since the valve cover breather exits inside the tube.

Airbox:

Check the two bolts holding down the airbox lid. If they are plastic with a square recess, it is a recalled part. The recall is expired, but without the updated lid the risk of dirt infiltration is greater, the lid was updated with more supports and the updated bolts are metal with a straight slot. If it is the old style, you spend around $80 to update it.

Tranny:

If you buy a truck with an auto tranny, finding out if it's been maintained is essential, as the E4OD is an expensive transmission. Also, (if auto) seeing if the truck has an auxiliary transmission cooler would be worthwhile. For sticks, listen for clunking when shutting off or small vibration while operating. It could be an indication of a dual mass flywheel going out. Many have replaced them with single mass units.

Rear Gear Ratio:

4:10 will pull better, get slightly lower mpg’s and run a higher RPM compared to 3:55.

Coolant:

Ask the previous owner about the coolant - have they been adding FW16 or DCA4 to keep a proper SCA level? It is very important for stopping cavitation. You can get test strips to check the SCA level from NAPA, International, or Ford. I would test the current condition while looking over the truck, the SCA level should be between 1.5 and 3.0. Also, see if it has a block heater (it was an option on 97's).

Front end:

Check the front end for wear, or have an alignment shop check out the ball joints and steering linkage (tie rod ends). If they are shot, it is spendy (all four tie rods are around $400 just for parts, ball joint labor is also very spendy)

Oil:

The questions to ask are how often the oil was changed (at least every 5,000) and what kind of oil they used (diesel rated)? An oil analysis could tell you if there might be an engine problem or not.

Aftermarket stuff:

Seeing if the truck has got an aftermarket downpipe would be nice, a chip, or gauges (pyrometer, trans temp, etc.). Ask about any added items and who installed them.

Glow Plugs/Relay:

Find out if the glow plugs are in good working condition as well as the relay. Ask if either has been changed and when. You can check the glow plug resistance through the valve cover connector if needed (http://forums.ford-diesel.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=005210), and the relay should have power to both large terminals on top when the key is turned on, and one of the terminals should go out before ~2 minutes.

Injector o-rings:

The injector O-rings have been known to be a problem. The new o-ring sets have a pink middle seal. If the truck has an o-ring problem, one of the signs can be a discoloration of the fuel in the filter bowl. There is a drain on the passenger side front of the filter bowl for draining water (the filter is also the water separator) and you can catch some of the drained fuel in a jar – it should be dingy yellow and not blue or dark.

Leaks and Drips:

You can check the valley between the heads of the V8 for moisture and/or fluid. It should be dry not wet. Most leaks will run through this valley and down the back of the motor dripping off by the tranny/engine coupling.

VIN number:

If you take the VIN to any dealer, they can tell you when it was built, when it went into service, and some of the work that might have been done on it. You can also run prospective VIN's through Carfax.com to see the title history.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Addendum to Casey's quote from Baz's site:

Get it scanned for codes.

Drop the tranny pan...look for chunks of metal and for burnt ATF.

Start it up on a cold morning and notice the absence of...or color of the smoke and how long it takes to clear.

For a 4WD if you have a dirt road to test on, TEST IT (grinding noise is normal from the chain)

Check the serpentine belt for cracks (on the inside of belt) and radiator hoses. If they are really soft they will need to be changed. Might as well change the coolant and add FW-16 if you replace the hoses.

treefidy

Reaction score
I bought my 99 psd crew cab long bed 4x4 used about a year and half ago, it had 110,000 miles, thats pretty much getting broke in for a diesel. they are suposed to last "by factory standards" for 300,000. i now have close to 140,000 and still no probs. the only thing that i would suggest is determine wether or not you want a man trans or auto. i have the man i love it for towing and yanking things. the list above is pretty good and detailed. i dont think i would be affraid of getting one with less than 150,000. the whole idea is to take care of the rig and it will take care of you. just make sure the 4x4 works and the bushings are in good shape. i bought mine for 15,500. and its a crew cab, long bed, 7.3 "stay away from the 6.0" mine also has 4x4. one of my company trucks is a superduty and we just turned 550,000 and all we have to do is general maint. good luck

clorine12

alschroc
Reaction score
Yea i have found quite a bit in my price range around here. The 96 and 97 seem to be just as much and more in some cases than the 99. I plan on buying one under 200k is that to much. I really dont care if its a manual or a auto I have heard better things about the manual tho.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
clorine12 said:
Yea i have found quite a bit in my price range around here. The 96 and 97 seem to be just as much and more in some cases than the 99. I plan on buying one under 200k is that to much. I really dont care if its a manual or a auto I have heard better things about the manual tho.

IMO proper maintenance from day one is far more important than mileage. Got mine at 105K and expect well over 300K. Very interesting that the '96-'97s are priced more than the '99s are. IMO the '97 is the best (besides the fact that I have one) because there are always bugs in the first year of a new engine and by '97, the first generation PSD's had their bugs solved. Can't forget how us OBS (old body style) owners love the old design. ;Sweet

Last edited:

treefidy

Reaction score
I used to like the old body style but the one thing that drove me away from them is the mirrors, they dont seem to give you a good field of vue, or at least not as good as the newer style. hheynow is correct its all about how the up keep was, but you can take that chance from an old guy selling one that says hes allways done it or a dealer, the truth is unless the have the proof youll never know. go with your gut instinct !!!. truth being said, up keep is the most important and you will want to continue or develop the habbit.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Try and stay with the '96/'97 models as the early ones-94.5/95's had drain back issues with the HPOP {high press oil pump that feeds the inj}

:cheers: and :hail for choosing the OBS ;Sweet

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is your first PSD, learn about the CPS, and consider keeping a spare, with the 10mm socket and screw driver. That is the main "weak link" in the 7.3 engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online

Members online