Hypermax pulse turbo observations

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
We just got through installing a Hypermax pulse turbo on a friend's 7.3 with a zf5 and Ive made a few interesting observations. For one, after getting that thing on, I know that my ATS turbo really blows and not in a good way .. That Hypermax had me pushed back in the seat and giggling like a schoolgirl . So much for non gated turbos being dogs off the line.
Aside from a handful of issues we ran across due to the kit being cobbled together from many used pieces of various other kits that made the install a tad challenging, it all went not too bad, but it was very easy to see where a complete new kit with all matching parts would be a walk in the park to install. It's simply much better thought out than the ATS kit, and better designed and constructed and it's would be no stretch of the imagination to see better fuel milage with that thing as quickly as it spools up ( if the driver can only keep his right foot out of the fun zone LOL

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax!

We just got through installing a Hypermax pulse turbo on a friend's 7.3 with a zf5 and Ive made a few interesting observations. For one, after getting that thing on, I know that my ATS turbo really blows and not in a good way .. That Hypermax had me pushed back in the seat and giggling like a schoolgirl . So much for non gated turbos being dogs off the line.
Aside from a handful of issues we ran across due to the kit being cobbled together from many used pieces of various other kits that made the install a tad challenging, it all went not too bad, but it was very easy to see where a complete new kit with all matching parts would be a walk in the park to install. It's simply much better thought out than the ATS kit, and better designed and constructed and it's would be no stretch of the imagination to see better fuel milage with that thing as quickly as it spools up ( if the driver can only keep his right foot out of the fun zone LOL

And everybody thought I was crazy to go with a hypermax on my 6.9 build...At least now everyone has confirmation of just one of those bad boys will do for not only the 7.3's but also the 6.9's...

Enjoy that thang!

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a hypermax h2e kit on my brothers 99 superduty, kit went on without a hitch, fit and finish are excellent. it is a non gated turbo as well, definately no lag and 35psi+ capable...After that experience I have been toying with the idea of a hypermax turbo kit for my 6.9. I just wonder what one of their kits would be like with extra fuel capability. (brothers truck has 200cc hybrids)

Last edited:

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200 CC Hybrid

I put a hypermax h2e kit on my brothers 99 superduty, kit went on without a hitch, fit and finish are excellent. it is a non gated turbo as well, definately no lag and 35psi+ capable...After that experience I have been toying with the idea of a hypermax turbo kit for my 6.9. I just wonder what one of their kits would be like with extra fuel capability. (brothers truck has 200cc hybrids)

Wow...I don't know about a 200cc pump...On my 6.9 a 120cc pump is more than enough...but thinking in terms of my gearing....zf-5...bw-1345...4.10 rear....and the pumps govenor...sometimes I think I have to much pump...but that's just me. Towing my 5th wheel at 65 mph in the flatlands with power left over is enough for me.....

I do think tho that 200cc's with a hypermax would be kewl and I would like to see what it would do. I'm thinking the hypermax will be the turbo of choice in the near future...I just hope they don't jack up the prices...Right now I think a Banks Sidewinder is way overpriced and I really think the hypermax will outperform the banks anyway...Would be nice to see them go head-to-head on a dyno huh?

Just me thinking....could be dangerous tho when I think too much.....LOL

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two 7.3's with the ATS setup on them I found in the salvage yards and both of them run great, no complaints. I also came across an alleged 7.3 with a hypermax setup. I know the motor was rebuilt, but I don't know what was done to it. I was told the motor was toast, been run hot so I bought it for a core with the turbo setup. Before pulling it I started it and can't wait to get it running in my older truck. When I looked at the truck it was in, the rearend had been blown out! Really, the 10.25 had a hole in the side of the housing and the pinion had been twisted off! I can definately tell the difference in the turbo setups by the throttle response in my engines. My father had the Hypermax setup on two different trucks and they pulled everything we put behind them (farm equipment mostly). I definately like the Hypermax over others.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Wow...I don't know about a 200cc pump...On my 6.9 a 120cc pump is more than enough...but thinking in terms of my gearing....zf-5...bw-1345...4.10 rear....and the pumps govenor...sometimes I think I have to much pump...but that's just me. Towing my 5th wheel at 65 mph in the flatlands with power left over is enough for me.....

I do think tho that 200cc's with a hypermax would be kewl and I would like to see what it would do. I'm thinking the hypermax will be the turbo of choice in the near future...I just hope they don't jack up the prices...Right now I think a Banks Sidewinder is way overpriced and I really think the hypermax will outperform the banks anyway...Would be nice to see them go head-to-head on a dyno huh?

Just me thinking....could be dangerous tho when I think too much.....LOL

That 200 cc was on a PSD, not an IDI.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have two 7.3's with the ATS setup on them I found in the salvage yards and both of them run great, no complaints. I also came across an alleged 7.3 with a hypermax setup. I know the motor was rebuilt, but I don't know what was done to it. I was told the motor was toast, been run hot so I bought it for a core with the turbo setup. Before pulling it I started it and can't wait to get it running in my older truck. When I looked at the truck it was in, the rearend had been blown out! Really, the 10.25 had a hole in the side of the housing and the pinion had been twisted off! I can definately tell the difference in the turbo setups by the throttle response in my engines. My father had the Hypermax setup on two different trucks and they pulled everything we put behind them (farm equipment mostly). I definately like the Hypermax over others.

My ATS 088 does great when I'm pulling my big heavy trailers, it spools up fast and gives me everything i could want, but it NEVER gives a hard boost at low speed with no load. Now I know my truck weighs a heck of a lot more than the f250 with a standard bed that we just put this thing in, but still, that wouldnt make that much difference, in terms of boost coming on, it should load mine up sooner, but it just rolls on evenly. That Hypermax was giving me some reminders of days gone past the way I was getting pushed back in the seat with each gear :D that thing for sure is a great all around setup. I bet he cant wait to hookup his 5er, he's been dragging it N/A I wish we had boost numbers but the project drug on a bit longer than expected due to some used parts not fitting ( they were for different kits turned out and some things got mismatched ahead of time, this was not a complete new kit from hypermax, it was used parts and pieces with some new parts )and having to do a lot of cobbling so a few things had to be left till a later time

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks for the info all. The only Hypermax I've ever seen must have been a very old one. The turbo was mounted to the driver's side exhaust bank. I thought it was homemade. It looked cobbled together. It barley made any boost at all. Now I have to do some checking on a Hypermax for the Bronco.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what kind of turbo the pulse kit uses? The h2e on my brothers truck uses a holset, but that is a powerstroke.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Did some looking on the Hypermax website. I could only find the one picture they used for all the descriptions. Just one from the back. It looks like the turbo mounts a little farther forward than I remember others mounting. Does anyone know this for sure? I'm asking because I lowered the trans crossmember 2 inches to ease driveline angle on my short wheelbase. Of course that tilted the engine back some. I'm not 100% sure a turbo will fit on my engine. I had to use a 3 lb. hammer to "clearance" the firewall a little to get the stock air cleaner to fit. On the plus side, everything I saw on the website looked like ALOT better quality than what I saw before.