hypermax or banks turbo

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote Hypermax, and I have a Banks.. the only reason is it gives you more choices for different guages, you could probably build an innercooler setup and build your own exhaust for all that a Banks costs. Just my opinion, but if I was to do it again, the H-Max would be my choice. Scotty

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crane opertor said:
which one is better? :confused:

I have a Banks in my truck, wastegated. No problems with the unit except for the untimely demise of the first air filter. The K&N mounting method is pretty poor--vibration will eventually cause the flange on the filter to separate---probably outside of the 2 year warranty period. $50 filter, available ONLY from Banks due to endcap design and Banks' proprietary filter housing.

Aside from that... the Banks unit was complete with 3 gauges as I ordered it, plus exhaust, plus TransCommand that makes the automatic tranny do better. I really like the system, and have no complaints with it when pulling our horse trailer. I don't think they Hypermax would really be any better on accelerating from a stop, and might be only marginally so (if any) at speed.

For a complete kit, that includes everything you need and some frills, go Banks.

If all you want is a turbo, and you plan to do the rest on your own, the Hypermax might be better.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crane opertor said:
which one is better? :confused:

Did you read our FAQ before you posted this? Not trying to be snippy, but one of the best things about this site, over the other ones is the EASY to find library of information that we have here. Posts like this one give me an opportunity to remind everyone of that. :D If nothing else, reading the FAQ's will help you bring to the thread a higher level of discussion ability. As for your question, the question is not so much which one is better, but which one is better for YOU. ;)

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I've researched ALOT on this subject and the FAQ's do a good job of answering most of the questions. I'm going with the Hypermax because I'm concerned with highway towing and not city driving. Also the Hypermax sits on the engine in a better position for engine maintenace.

Some of you guys may think I'm never going to do this mod , but I'm just trying to build up the cash on hand to keep myself out of the plastic. I don't deal in plastic anymore! :D :D

If you purchase everything for the Hypermax that is included in the Banks kit, the Hypermax is ~$100 more expensive based on the BEST prices I have found. I'm not sure if all those prices are still good though. If I throw out the best price I got on a Banks kit, then the comparable Hypermax setup is cheaper by at least $100.

If you are interested in the Banks kit, I'll give you the name of the dealer that had the best Bank's price. Maybe it is still a good price.

ramon f350

Reaction score
unfortunantly I think that you are going to get alot of different answeres to this question. Like Mel said its not nessicarly which one is better but which one is better for you. I know that I have a fctory turbo and it does fine on mytruck. I do need to get gagues installed but that will be in the very near future I hope.

Ramon

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I was going to go with the HM because of cost, but I got lucky and got a Banks system that was low miles and only a year old. I know this because the owner took it off his old truck before he sold it, and put it back into the original boxes that had dated stickers on them from Banks. I found It on the other sites for sale forum. The guy was local, so I got to see it first. I got everything except the exhaust. I already had 3 1/2 inch on it ,so I didn't need it anyway.

The deals are out there ! just keep looking ! That was the best $800.00 ever spent ;Sweet . No problem with it at all, and is what the truck needed to tow my enclosed car trailer, in the city, and even better on the highway.

Any of the three should work fine, Look for your deal !

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SIKPUP said:
I was going to go with the HM because of cost, but I got lucky and got a Banks system that was low miles and only a year old. I know this because the owner took it off his old truck before he sold it, and put it back into the original boxes that had dated stickers on them from Banks. I found It on the other sites for sale forum. The guy was local, so I got to see it first. I got everything except the exhaust. I already had 3 1/2 inch on it ,so I didn't need it anyway.

The deals are out there ! just keep looking ! That was the best $800.00 ever spent ;Sweet . No problem with it at all, and is what the truck needed to tow my enclosed car trailer, in the city, and even better on the highway.

Any of the three should work fine, Look for your deal !

Mike

Good advice.

I think we always come back to the fact that there is little-to-no performance difference in ANY of the big 3 (Banks, ATS, Hypermax) once you hook up a load. Seems like shopping for the best deal should be where it's at unless one system makes maintenance significantly more difficult than another. Nothing wrong with saving dough on these old trucks.

I've had no trouble doing glowplugs, etc. with my Banks on. Just required using different tools (joint) to get to parts.

Mike

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For Glow Plug service or the fuel injection system, I would rather work around the Hypermax than a Banks. The Hypermax is fairly out of the way, the Banks, in the way the whole darn time. Scotty