hydro-boost question

faaiish

Reaction score
A couple of questions, I have to replace my brake booster because it has a small leak. I have found a factory original vac booster new old stock I can get for 125.00.
1- would you trust an new old stock factory booster?

I saw a hydro-boost in a 1990 f450 with a manual transmission at my local pick a part and one in a 1996 F450 with an auto trans. I have a 1989 F250 with an auto transmission.

2- will the brake pedal assembly from the 1996 work on mine?
3- if it does, should I grab the hydro-boost system from the 1990 or from the 1996?

The guy at the pick a part said 30 bucks for the booster and 20 for the lines and 25 for the pump. It would be about the same to put the original in or the hydro-boost.
I am leaning towards the hydro because I hear it stops better (I pull a 10,000 lb. toy hauler) and I am not sure how long a new old stock booster would last but thoughts and suggestions will help me make my decision.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, buy them both, use the stuff from the 90 on yours and sell the stuff from the 96. If you are on Facebook or know someone who is, a complete hydroboost kit usually goes for around $150-200.

I was always under the impression that pedals follow body style so the newer one won't work. I could be wrong.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pedals have to come from the same generation of truck as yours, you can't mix-and-match OBS pedals in to a bricknose cab. I don't know if you can play mix-and-match with auto vs manual pedals though, that may take some creativity.

Either way, I'd grab both sets of pedals, and the power steering reservoirs too. If nothing else, you can flip them for a good profit, those parts are getting pretty hard to find.

As far as the NOS vacuum booster goes, I'd take a NOS part over a parts store reman any day of the week. But there's nothing better than hydroboost, it's well worth the effort :D

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's alot of them at my local diesel junkyard. I believe alot of them are from vans but there are alot of truck ones.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If the OBS pedals don't work, use them as a template for the position of the pushrod pin on your vacuum pedals. I cut off the old one, and used a 9/16" bolt, IIRC.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled my brake pedal and fit up a new pin location for the hydroboost. Obviously some may be concerned about modifying a "safety item" but it is very easy to do.

I know there are some posts here with comparisons and specific pin measurements (i think Riotwarrior posted some).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726