HX35 + Banks Sidewinder parts?

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Not much on this using the search function so I must ask...
I currently have a Wastegated Banks Sidewinder kit on my 6.9 in the F-350. It runs well, but I've recently got my hands on a waategated HX35 turbo off of a 94' Cummins 6BT. The HX is in good shape, clean and almost zero shaft play. The Banks turbo does seem to be showing some age, good amount of shaft play and a bit if oil in the intake.

On to my question, has anyone mounted a HX35 on a Banks Up-Pipe? Looking at it appears it will be close, but may not require much to stuff it back there. May have to use a T3 flange spacer to make it just right. Also if you have done it, what was used for an intake hat? The rest seems pretty straight forward once I can get it mounted. Ideally I'd like to mount the turbo and get it running and then add a intercooler at a later date.

Any insight would be great. Thanks

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ive set one against the banks pedestal. the waste gate actuator on the hx35 interferes with the intake...and if you push it forward it sits over top of the intake hole and you wont be able to get the horn back on

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a HX35 on the same mounts as a Banks Sidewinder WG, however all my stuff is custom fabbed, The turbine intake flange is the same, and the outlet is very close but not exactly the same. I wound up welding the downpipe to the turbo flange since the HX35 has the removable turbine cover flange. The other alternative would be to weld the flange off a Dodge downpipe on the banks pipe and find the right band clamp. It's not a standard v-band flange, it's square faced and slightly smaller. (2 7/8"?) Otherwise the exhaust piping *should* fit up.

The oil drain flange is the same and in roughly the same location. The oil feed is going to require some adapting as the HX 35 uses a banjo bolt style pipe and the Banks is a AN/JIC-4 flare fitting. I can't remember the thread on the banjo bolt but it was something common - I got a short bolt, drilled a hole through the center and welded a JIC-4 fitting on top to make an adapter.

The HX 35 compressor inlet is 4" vs 3" for the Banks, and the outlet is a bit larger as well. The outlet is designed for a ~2 1/4" flange, but a 2 1/2" silicone hose and clamp seems to work well. Banks is a 2" hose.

Your big problem is going to be interferences - the turbo is significantly larger and has the wastegate actuator hanging out there to cause problems. Not sure how big of a problem this will turn out to be, best option is going to be trying it and seeing what hits. Wastegate actuator can probably be modified or run some sort of an external wastegate, but I'm not sure what else will be a problem.

It's a nice change though, mine will run 20 psi easily, 10 psi under normal cruising and spools nicely. She sings pretty nice too - sounds like a real turbo.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Good to hear, I appreciate all the detailed info. Just the stuff I was looking for. Sounds like I need to pick-up a new flange gasket and spend a day pulling the Sidewinder and doing some test fitting/mock-up.

jaluhn83 - did you only run the hx35 with the intercooler, or did you run non-intercooled at all? I'm working on locating an affordable intercooler at the moment, but may attempt to go without for a while. Mainly due to my truck being a daily driver I can't have it out of commission for more than a weekend.
Also, what did you end up doing with the wastegate actuator on yours? It seems modifying it to be about 1/2 the size it would be an option, I have a feeling that will be one of the bigger challenges. Keeping an eye out for a Dodge flange as well.
Thanks

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm running without a functional intercooler - I've got a water/air intercooler but only have the air side hooked up at the moment so it's really not doing much.

I wouldn't run one without and intercooler though - at 20 psi the turbo outlet temp is somewhere near 300*F, which translates to a significant amount of heat being dumbed needlessly into the engine, as well as less dense air going in.

That being said, it seems to work okay without one. I see a max of 1150-1200 for egts and no real overheating issues. I have noticed that I see a significantly faster rise in coolant temp for the last little bit of throttle which I suspect is at least partially due to the lack of the intercooler.

On my rig the turbo sits higher and further forward than a stock unit, and I built a custom intake setup with the center section cut down in height to the top of the runners and a 2 1/2" elbow welded into this. Let me see if I can find a picture....

I don't honestly think you're going to be able to do it as a weekend project - there will be some little thing that will screw you up.

I don't seem to have a good pic of the intake setup, but here's one of the mock up prior to welding. The gaps between the intake casting and the pipe were all filled in with small pieces of aluminum plate.

Also attached are a couple pics of the piping setup and turbo.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0705.JPG
    tn_IMG_0705.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 93
  • tn_IMG_0867.JPG
    tn_IMG_0867.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_IMG_0866.JPG
    tn_IMG_0866.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 86
  • tn_IMG_0865.JPG
    tn_IMG_0865.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 70
  • tn_IMG_0864.JPG
    tn_IMG_0864.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 85

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am going to do the same build, i have a banks kit and a hx35 wastegated, havent started the build yet, i have most of the parts needed but i have to wait intil i have the extra time and something else to drive,

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I removed the wastegate actuator from mine and welded it closed and run a 38mm external gate.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
probly the best option^^^run an external gate. probly easier to fine tune as well. then you can dump the gate to the atmo and have a cool WG sound when it dumps lol.....or if you don't want that then just cut a whole in the down pipe welt and dump to the down pipe.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id like to see where this goes, i have a non gated banks set up and would love to swap in a HX/HY35/40

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I will have some more to add to this a bit later...I started mocking up a wh1c (basically an hx35) on my banks sidewinder pedestal....its still on the stand so I have some pics. Right now the plan is no intercooler but maybe adding one in the future. I have other plans for this truck that involves a different motor. This is more of an experiment to see what the output is..

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like there is already a market for a kit... lol. I have been putting my nose into this as well. The air to water intercoolers from Frozen Boost look like the way to go, lots of configurations that fit in tight spaces. The intake hat doesn't seem to be a big deal as the IDI intake is standard 4bbl size if I am correct. That makes for many options.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Well here is what I found. The banks uppipe shares the same T3 bolt pattern as the WH1C I have so the turbo will physically bolt to the pedestal. I unbolted the upper bracket and was able to swing the pipe out another 1/2" or so. using the original banks sidewinder intake horn I had to move the turbo so it would not hit the intake. I also had to remove the drivers rear lifting lug off the motor.

Since i got the turbo for a song I didnt mind doing some modifying. I took a grinder and a flap wheel and ground off the v-band flange on the intake of the compressor. this allowed the banks silicone coupler to slide on to the turbo housing as well as the intake horn. it was deff tight!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

i still need to clock the cartridge so the feed and drain are pointing the proper direction. the output of the exhaust looks like the banks downpipe will work too. I will have to make a longer bracket to replace the one i took off at the top of the banks up pipe. you can see it in the bottom left corner of the last pic i posted. I still need to put the waste gate actuator back on to see what I need to do there to make it fit...

it looks promising though...

ddestruel

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few guys run a HX35 on 6.9L’s with 14cm 16 cm and 18cm non waste gated exhaust housings. id be a little skeptical of the 18cm housing id think the spool up advantages of the hx35 might be diminished some but the use of the non WG housings may be an option for more mild engine setups. the 16cm though seems intriguing