Hurricane!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live across the street from the bay and as bad as the rain has ever been here I never saw the bay come to the street. Maybe this time it will be different. If it is bad enough that we have to evacuate Lola, Harley and Davidson the cats will be coming with me. I think though that if we do have to evacuate they have the pets at one location and the people at another. That will not happen with my pets because if they try that I will just stay home and if it gets bad enough I can always stay on high ground in the back of my truck.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My man got SO mad at me this winter. It was my first winter with a truck in like 6 years. (I had had my **** minivan.) Every time it snowed this year I was out in it, driving around, trying to get stuck. IMPOSSIBLE! Now I am looking forward to some mud! I am nervous about the soft top though. It is pretty flimsy. Don't want to go out in high winds and rain *******. Tee hee.

Maybe give the IDI a nap and take out the new toy. Named it Slippy haha.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I hope everyone in the path makes it through OK. People think I'm crazy because I actually look forward to a good storm. I look at it as a challenge, kinda like Lt. Dan up on the shrimp boat mast..."Alright God, it's You and me! Is this the best You can do?"-cuss

Ha, Ha, that reminds me of coming in the Columbia River bar with 12ft rollers on outgoing tide in a 21ft boat in the dark.

Me and my buddy were yelling "I'm a ******** Salmon boat captain" instead of whatever the hell they said on The Perfect Storm.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
You can have all the hurricanes you want. As much as I would like the overtime the potential destruction that comes with it is for the birds. The last major hurricane to hit near myrtle beach left people in the outlying areas without power for almost two weeks or better and flooded out all kinds of mess. Plus they are now talking Cat 3 at landfall, frig that.
I'm with ya on this one. Was down your way in 89' for Hugo we didn't have power for a fee days. Lived in Surfside had plenty of water, it rained more after the storm than it did during....:puke:

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Hurricanes are learning experiences, too. My experience after Katrina taught me how to make coffee and Hamburger Helper on the BBQ. After three weeks we had power again but it was nice to know that I can make it without if I have to.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to what Im seeing we'll likely get a little pounding, unless it changes course. Im approximately an hr away from the water, about 50-60 miles. I heard that the winds from a cat3 will extend 200 miles from the center.

Im off work Sun, which is when we're supposed to get whatever we're going to get, so Ill probably be out roaming around in my 4x4 hoping a tree doesnt fall on the ol girl. We havent gotten much rain here either in the last month so thatll be good for helping the trees stay in the ground. Usually this time of year around here the biggest concern is trees during a hurricane because the ground is so soft.

Hope everyone whos in the path makes it through ok!

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hurricanes are learning experiences, too. My experience after Katrina taught me how to make coffee and Hamburger Helper on the BBQ. After three weeks we had power again but it was nice to know that I can make it without if I have to.

Last big one we had here was Gaston. Had to ditch my car and walk home through a waste deep river flowing over a flooded road. We were without power for a little over two weeks.

Kinda puts things in perspective...;Really

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Lots of lessons learned from katrina. I am in the USCG stationed here in Mobile. ( Aviator side of the house) and we prepare to prepare after katrina. Just completed a 3 day hurrican drill earlier this week.

Hope eveyone makes it thru this one OK.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I hear ya, I'm at ground zero on this one, got to work I'm 15 miles from the shore the highest place in the county is 30 feet above sea level my house is at 29'......

According to what Im seeing we'll likely get a little pounding, unless it changes course. Im approximately an hr away from the water, about 50-60 miles. I heard that the winds from a cat3 will extend 200 miles from the center.

Im off work Sun, which is when we're supposed to get whatever we're going to get, so Ill probably be out roaming around in my 4x4 hoping a tree doesnt fall on the ol girl. We havent gotten much rain here either in the last month so thatll be good for helping the trees stay in the ground. Usually this time of year around here the biggest concern is trees during a hurricane because the ground is so soft.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks...We will get some wind here but it's taking a path over western Maine into Quebec.....Maybe the next one will come to Nova Scotia....When Juan hit (cat 2) we were living in an apartment building...Our patio was on the 3rd floor in the lee of the first winds.....My buddy and I sat on the deck drinking rum and watched the eye pass right over us....It was cool until we were on the windy side...LOL....It made a mess of the province, blew a crap load of tree's down, put sail boats into peoples yards and etc....The eye of the storm came ashore between Shad Bay and Prospect Bay - about 2-3 miles apart...I grew up in Shad Bay, my grandad said it was as bad as he's ever seen it in all his years of being a commercial fisherman and living in Shad Bay his whole life. It was wild because it hit at night, all you could hear was the roar of the wind and tree's snapping off.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We have had lots of rain the past week so the ground probably won't be able to handle anymore.

I hear ya, I'm at ground zero on this one, got to work I'm 15 miles from the shore the highest place in the county is 30 feet above sea level my house is at 29'......

I am right across the street from the bay. The only thing that separates the bay from the Ocean is Sandy Hook.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sandy Hook

You must be registered for see images attach

Where I live

There is a hill of sand to get to the beach where I live but the hill is only about 10 foot. In the past bad storms we had the water came right to the top of the hill and was crashing against the bank exposing roots from the trees that are along the top of the hill. Those storms were not even close to being a hurricane. There was a split rail fence along part of the hill that's without any trees and that fence got washed away. They replaced the fence and put it four feet or so back from where the original fence stood.

I have never seen any street flooding in front of where I live yet but Irene could change that on Sunday. If it starts to flood then I will load up my dog and two cats and leave otherwise I am staying put even if their are mandatory evacuations.

The one thing I like about this area is the beach across the street from where I live is totally free and it is the only beach that I know of where you can walk your dog year round on the beach.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
well stay safe, the power has cut of and on now about 5 times, the first time I had just grab the pan from under the stove and had the patties in the other... got the food cooked and ate, now going to crash cause I see about 12 or 1 maybe sooner.... I'll have to go to work and start the gen set and turn the air back on and unfold the cot till 6am....;Really

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Referring to the map I put up earlier
All areas located between Route 36 and the Raritan/Sandy Hook Bay from the Keansburg border to the Atlantic Highlands Border.
are under a mandatory evacuation. They want everyone out by 12 noon tomorrow the only problem is that is thousands of people in just one part of the town I live in. Now the fun part is that their are only two red cross shelters for the whole county and Keansburg which is two towns north of me is under a Mandatory evacuation for the whole town.

None of the shelters that I know of will allow you to bring your pets. This is going to be a problem. -cuss

Their is no way I will have my pets in a shelter. Going back to Katrina their were many pets that did not get reunited with their owners and the shelters wound up adopting them out to other people.

If you cannot make any other arrangements, Monmouth County animal protection advocates are establishing an emergency overflow pet shelter for county residents who cannot find shelter for their pets during the incoming storm. The pet shelter will be available on SUNDAY only and requests will be address on a case by case basis

Pet owners can arrange to shelter their pets at the old county juvenile detention center at 119 Dutch Lane Road in the township by contacting Victor "Buddy" Amato, chief law enforcement officer for the Monmouth County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals at 732-312-7153 or Terry Clark, of the Associated Humane Society, at 732-922-0100.

Remember to carry pets in a sturdy container. Bring identification, collar, leash, and proof of vaccination. Bring food and water for your pets. Carry a current photo of your pets in case they get lost.

Yeah I am going to carry a picture of my pet, for what in case they give it to the wrong person or someone claims my pets to be theirs?. Yeah I might sound a little crazy but I have ran into a lot of people who would love to have Lola and wish she were their dog.

If I have to leave I think I will just go to the shelter with Lola, Harley and Davidson in the back of my truck and I will just stay there in the back with them.