Huge 6.9 Problems

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Scott, It does sound like you are getting hosed. If your truck was getting hot and blowing water on the way home it wasn't right. Not to question your knowledge, but do you have a knowledgeable friend who has been inside one of these engines and knows their **** and the right questions to ask that you can take with you the next time you go to meet the rapeman? towcat maybe? I see he has 2 locations but is he in cali now and how far away? I know how hard it is to keep a cool head and talk to someone when you are truck throwing mad. Maybe a second party would help.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this scotty. IIRC, isnt this the same problem that caused you to bring them the truck in the first place? I dont think you had steam out of the exhaust yet, but AF gushing out the overflow res? I'm wondering if your problem was a cracked head from the get go. anyhow, this is a crappy situation for you to be in. Hopefully it isnt as bad as we all think.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Brian, we must have been typing at the same time, I am waiting for the code for the new Marine Corps Special Operations Command to activate, once it activates I will be the first Marine CI guy there. Pretty unique opportunity. Hopefully I should have orders to report around March 31st or later. HOPEFULLY

IF I have to do this, I am going to have to call in all my favors. I REALLY appreciate the help, if I have to do this 3 guys should be able to swap the engines pretty fast and I will have all the tools and stuff we would need, so it should go fairly smooth. Thanks a million. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crappy is an understatement from where I am standing. HOPEFULLY I can pull a rabbit out on this deal.. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hopefully going up to there shop and going to see what is up. Can't believe all this crap, just can't believe it would have all this problems. I have been too easy on the truck, shoulda beat it, guys that thrash theirs never have half the troubles. Scotty

Reaction score
Scotty,

You've really had a bad run man! Can't say anything that hasn't already been said.

I found a used 6.9 engine here in Minnesota, I'd volunteer to pick it up and drive it the first leg of the race this weekend, if we could find a few more people between us...$1500 is what they are asking. I'm doubtful this is an option right now, especially with your buddy that has what you need. If you're interested let me know. If all the other monkey business isn't final, maybe we could find the rest of the parts on the way...radiator, etc.

Hope it all works out.

Paul

Incidentally, do the fellas doing your work look something like the attached?

Attachments

• *******.jpg
    *******.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
beretzs said:
Some positive news, SUPERF350 a fellow Marine and Ford guy, lives near me, he has a project 6.9 he has been tinkering with. Has the block and stuff seperated right now, just had the heads redone. Said we could do a swap, I have a brand new set of tires and he has a good engine block/heads. Said he would even help me do the swap. IF the block is cracked, I will take him up on that offer and pull my engine, swap everything over to the new engine and install the new engine in my truck with turbo. No idea on how many miles are on his engine, but for free, I am sure it would be fine. So took my day from a really bad day, to moderately decent. Then I will have a fresh engine with new gaskets and stuff, and turbo, and related parts. Plus I can put those ARP headstuds in the new block and KNOW that is was done right. Scotty

:thumbsup: ;Sweet :hail :hail
Now THATS what we are supposed to be all about :cheers: SUPER F350 :thumbsup:

Scotty....just don't ask for a ride in his beast :Sly :Sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scotty-
be very careful now....as nice as "superf350" may be....the forces of the darkside are strong in him...that homely IDI he leaves in his backyard is a lure to the IDI gang. Use caution. Extreme caution!!! Resist any offer or urge to go for that innocent "test drive" or "parts run" in that 6. :eek:
Seriously tho, if you need a hand over the weekend to get this knocked out, gimme a yell. I start a new contract on monday, so my free time will come to a quick end for a little while.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
That sucks man. If I can get out there with a truck, I bring your stuff across for half price. I'm not even gonna make a "sell me your truck" joke right now. This is not the time. Hope all turns out well bro.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I can't believe that you didn't make it home after the head job, without blowing coolant out.

I would have turned around, and demand that it be fixed. Did it overeat,blow coolant before you brought the truck in for HG's?

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Scotty, I'm sooo sorry to hear about this Autolite. If you need me to fly out there and drive one of your rigs with you to NC, I'll probably be available. I'll need to plan airfare and get things here arranged for while I'm gone. So let me know if you need me. It would be fun Road Trip. OkieGringo

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
towcat said:
scotty-
be very careful now....as nice as "superf350" may be....the forces of the darkside are strong in him...that homely IDI he leaves in his backyard is a lure to the IDI gang. Use caution. Extreme caution!!! Resist any offer or urge to go for that innocent "test drive" or "parts run" in that 6. :eek:
Seriously tho, if you need a hand over the weekend to get this knocked out, gimme a yell. I start a new contract on monday, so my free time will come to a quick end for a little while.

:eek: :Sly Being a "Darksider" I wasn't going to instigate :angel: anything about those "FORCES" :backoff :draw LOL

{need to find that infamous pic of SUPERF350 pulling that new Duramax-ipad AND a travel trailer out of the sand dunes :smoke: :Sly :Sly }

If I can be of any help when ya get east of the Missssssissippi LOL gimmie a shout ;Sweet

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, called the shop+ the block is cracked, so they say. whatever. I have two choices. One is get my truck back from that shop, pay the money I have to for the radiator, WP, fan clutch and get it back to here. Then take the Block and stuff from SuperF350 and put my studs and a gasket set together and swap all of my good stuff over to his engine, and then drop his engine into my truck. I will still have a questionable engine but it SHOULD be okay I guess.

Next option, sell the truck AS IS. It has alot of parts you guys want. Let me break it down a little, a NEW GearVendor with less than 20K on it, PS2000 Propane, New Banks Turbo with all guages, 4.56 gears front and rear, Dana 60 Front axle, perfect interior. Plus the truck is a complete California Cream Puff. No rust or anything. The bottom side of the truck is still grey. Oh, and 6" lift with tires and wheels. I know there is more, but man, what a donor vehicle for a guy with an engine that needs/wants a solid truck. Anyhow, I know you guys are going to sway me into keeping it, but really, I cannot sink anymore into it. My loss is truly your gain.... Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and thank all you guys for being sooo freaking cool. If I do need to do this, as in swap engines, I am calling in any favor I can. I think if the tools are available and with the complete engine sitting there a good weekend would be enough to get it swapped and running. Whaada you guys think? Scotty