Howdy y'all

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to give a good ole' southern howdy out to y'all. I'm new on this side but am a regular over at ford-trucks.com. I have been researching diesel trucks from the 6.2, 6.5T, 5.9 12V, 7.3 IDI and 7.3 PSD. I settled on the 7.3 IDI because it is powerful and Ford put a good chassis around it.

I bought my 1991 F250 IDI supercab a few months ago. I paid $2900 with TTL and it is virtually rust free. It doesn't need most of the things I am replacing but when you have a 4000 mile trip coming up, you want your rig in tip top shape!

I have replaced the gear oil in the diff and the gasket, cleaned the diff vent to stop leaks and retro fitted the vent, flushed the cooling system (dumb-**** dealer put in the green stuff when they replaced the water pump) and installed a new t-stat (motorcraft), t-stat gasket, Gates hoses, petcock valve, rad cap, and refilled with Fleet Charge. I have also installed a coolant filter in series with my heater core and transmission heater; I also have installed with the filter head, a pressure relief valve that dumps into the overfill reservoir. Last weekend, I installed a new IP, injectors (new Delphi BB codes matched by Russ/typ4) 8xZD9 GPs, valve cover gaskets and about 2 lbs of sweat.

I currently have A/C system completely disassembled and waiting for a rebuild and I need to find my leak. I am thinking evaporator but I may be lucky with just a gasket set. I am also waiting for a timing meter in the mail to correctly set the timing on my U-haul IP. I hope that solves some issues.

Nice to meet y'all.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like you got a great truck there. Cant beat the ole 7.3's. Post sum pics of that beast!

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Ford Rotunda unit off Brimmstone last week. I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail. When it does, I hope that after a timing my truck will run better. Right now it runs rich and when it warms up for a few minutes, it shakes pretty bad. It has a "chug-chug-chug" sound and I can see the engine moving with the sound. I am hoping it is not a bad IP. I bought the IP from U-haul and the injectors are new BB code Delphis matched by Russ (typfour). I made a few YouTube videos on it. I subbed you, and the username is the same, so check 'em out and see what you think.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it chugging out tlhe intake? How did it run before the injectors?

Yes! it sounds like it is coming from the intake when it starts to chug and run rough. It NEVER did that before. It used to sound like a milder version of the PSD. I never had any issues other than low MPG before.

Keep in mind I don't have this thing timed with a meter yet.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eatont9999,
Nice truck, not alot of bucks spent, good deal.
Glad to see another ford guy finding your way here, :thumbsup:
I like the pics on the wmo filter setup.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having no issues with my U-haul pump it runs really great. Runs cool on the egt's too could use a flat on the screw.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have a line leaking at first install that did much the same as far as missing.

I originally thought one of the pump lines was loose so I loosened all of my injector lines one-by-one and the truck ran poorly each time, so I know it is not a high pressure line leak. There could still be air in the pump, I guess. I doubt it though. How long did it take to get the air out of your pump?

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eatont9999,
Nice truck, not alot of bucks spent, good deal.
Glad to see another ford guy finding your way here, :thumbsup:
I like the pics on the wmo filter setup.

Thanks. She's a great truck if I can get her running right again.

I am not currently running WMO right now. I want to in the near future, though. I do have about 2 quarts of used ATF in the tank and it is almost full. The custom filter setup under the hood is a coolant filter I installed. It is installed in series versus bypass.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally thought one of the pump lines was loose so I loosened all of my injector lines one-by-one and the truck ran poorly each time, so I know it is not a high pressure line leak. There could still be air in the pump, I guess. I doubt it though. How long did it take to get the air out of your pump?

Didn't take long at all, It was running smooth by the time I got a wrench on the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online