How to use a PSD Downpipe on your IDI factory turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I have a 3" DP with my 088 and 4" from the DP back. Thanks for the writeup Mr. Diesel, that was very useful and it should be a lot cheaper for somebody looking to overcome the restriction of the "crushed" factory downpipe on the ATS factory turbo, all this leaves is the clearance issue but it really isn't too bad with a 3" pipe and a manual tranny as long as your body mounts aren't too saggy and you don't mind bending or cutting the firewall.

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
I cut slits in the pinch seam, then bent it back. Very easy. My mounts are great (TX truck) but I do have an auto and it fits...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice job. What welding materials and technology were used?

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Technology?? Not much of that around here! Really, I just used my little Century wire welder, it's just a lil guy, 110V converted to Argon. Aluminized welds just fine IMHO. If you are worried about it you can always grind the coating off first...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it looked like a really nice weld, and I was impressed that it wasn't all spattered from the coating or whatever is on that pipe. So you just used regular steel wire with a 40/60 Argon mix? Yea... technology is a big word. I was using a wide brush stroke with that one. LOL

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Well it looked like a really nice weld, and I was impressed that it wasn't all spattered from the coating or whatever is on that pipe. So you just used regular steel wire with a 40/60 Argon mix? Yea... technology is a big word. I was using a wide brush stroke with that one. LOL

Yep...that's it. My welder is just a lil ****** so I keep the heat maxed out all the time. It's not too bad considering I just got the welder and taught myself how to weld last year LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Sweet!
Nice work Ty!

Now how does she run and sound after replacing that 16 year old, still original factory, exhaust?:sly

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Runs great...BIG thanks to you, Ron! Time for some trans. mods and get my gauges in...

Spader

Rusty the Ford
Reaction score
Well it looks as though someone has done their homework!!! It has only taken me 2 weeks to end up here. LOL Like I said in and earlier post, ATS Compressor housing change for $500.00 + ATS Exhaust upgrade for $$ ?? Not too sure, but it sounds like quite a bit of cash. This is definitely a more costly solution and sounds pretty bomber to me. THANKS. ..... my next question ..... do you have any of these pre-made you would like to sell?? If not, I do know how to weld.

Wow .... these IDI factory turbos ... it's like no one has even heard of them in the aftermarket world.

Thanks again :)

Wade

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Well it looks as though someone has done their homework!!! It has only taken me 2 weeks to end up here. LOL Like I said in and earlier post, ATS Compressor housing change for $500.00 + ATS Exhaust upgrade for $$ ?? Not too sure, but it sounds like quite a bit of cash. This is definitely a more costly solution and sounds pretty bomber to me. THANKS. ..... my next question ..... do you have any of these pre-made you would like to sell?? If not, I do know how to weld.

Wow .... these IDI factory turbos ... it's like no one has even heard of them in the aftermarket world.

Thanks again :)

Wade

Nope...sorry. Besides the lack of the factory DP to donate it's flange, I just don't have the time right now. Hell it's been about 3 weeks since I've been here!

Spader

Rusty the Ford
Reaction score
A bit off topic .... but you mentioned the "Factory ATS" Turbo. Mine says Garrett right on ther side of it. Did ATS produce all 1994.5 Factory Ford Turbos or were there some Garretts in production as well??

Thanks!!

I think I found one of the last Banks DP in exsistence to bolt up without having to build my own. It was $160.00 canadian and is 3".

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
I think I found one of the last Banks DP in exsistence to bolt up without having to build my own. It was $160.00 canadian and is 3".

No offense, but I don't think I could spend a buck sixty on just a DP when I got the whole system, with a muffler for less than $300 delivered...of course if you already have a good 4" exhaust that makes good sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.