How to test/adjust waste gate? Banks Sidewinder

Camarogenius

Reaction score
First, How do I test it? Should I just bleed my compressor down to about 2 psi, and put air pressure to it? I just want to see it move on it's own. The diaphram Feels awfully tight. I realize that the diaphram covers about 4 or 5 square inches, so 2 or 3 psi would put out a good bit of force on it, but I just want to make sure.
Is there a way to adjust the waste gate closing pressure? how much trouble can I get I get myself into by turning it down just a little?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
First, How do I test it? Should I just bleed my compressor down to about 2 psi, and put air pressure to it? I just want to see it move on it's own.
I don't see why you can't do that.

Is there a way to adjust the waste gate closing pressure? how much trouble can I get I get myself into by turning it down just a little?
I don't think the actuator is adjustable it just moves "this much" with "this much pressure". What you can adjust is the actuator arm. If you shorten the arm is much as possible it is actually so short that it pulls the diaphragm out a little, which is like a rubber band effect holding the wastegate closed. Figure that for every little bit the arm moves the wastegate opens a little. I just adjusted mine this weekend and realized that the actuator was actually holding my wastegate slightly open constantly. It's no wonder I couldn't hit 10 psi unless I floored it up a hill and hit 1000+ deg.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Waste gates can be tuned via spring kits, look on the banks web site for one.
Otherwise just buy a manual boost controller.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, 10 lbs will be ok but be careful of anything above that. With non turbo rods and pistons and the condition of said head bolts and head gaskets may lift after some time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online