How to pull E4OD flashcode on a '89 diesel?/pulling the E4OD.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, F350 7,3L IDI E4OD 4x4.
I need to get a flash code pulled from my E4OD, How do I do that, and can it still be done after standing two years without batteries?

Thanks,

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You pull the codes just like you would on any 5.0 mustang or any Ford with a EECIV. If you put a good battery in it, it can look around and see if it see's anything it doesn't like and throw a code, but to get the full report you will have to drive it and let it store any codes it's see's while on the road.

Here's how to do it with a testlight.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You helped me on the way, but I need some more info please, since I live in Europe, we hardly have any of those vehicles you mentioned. so please tell me where I can find those terminals I need to connect the test light to?

CharlesG

Reaction score
This is the location of the connectors on my '89.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Charles.

well, I've done as the instructions said (as far as I understood, and could do since the engine doesn't run yet.) there is current on the top right terminal, and I triggered that with a wire to the separate terminal, and nothing happened ??? (I had key in and on, engine off).

CharlesG

Reaction score
Since the truck sat for two years without batteries, there probably are no codes stored in the TCM. As franklin2 stated, you'll have to drive the truck and see if it sets any new codes.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
difficult to do with a engine who doesn't run for the moment, and the tranny shot.
therefore I needed the codes, so the shop now what to do.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The codes get erased without battery power. There's no longer any codes in the computer to pull. I've been told that you can clear the codes by unhooking the batteries for 15-20 minutes so two years is plenty of time to erase them.

CharlesG

Reaction score
difficult to do with a engine who doesn't run for the moment, and the tranny shot.
therefore I needed the codes, so the shop now what to do.

My recommendation would be to get the engine running first, then you can find out what is wrong with the transmission.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Charles,
I do know (not precise though) what is wrong, but the shop asked me to pull the codes before getting the trans to them.
I wrote down here on the forum quite precise what has happened, and I even had a small film from the complaints with the tranny, so I guess I will give them a link to those posts.
I guess that they have to do with that.

Thanks anyway for helping me out (all others as well).
I know it is written down in the FSM, but I just couldn't find??

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have gotten a code 11. Code 11 means everything is ok. In other words, you should have gotten something.

I have found those plugs sit under the hood like that for years, and get a corrosion layer on them that has to be scraped off to make a good connection. Did you use a testlight? I would not depend on the check engine light to work.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I did use a testlight.
but maybe something got wrong?, When I (sorry, don't know the correct word here) "tripped"? the seperate terminal with the RH upper terminal in the multiconnector, nothing happened??? and there is a postive 12V current on that terminal.the testlight lit when I tested that terminal.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a clue to your transmission troubles. You might want to take a look at the computer. Sometimes unplugging it and plugging it back in helps. And these are notorious for having bad capacitors on the board that are leaking all over the place. Not sure where it is though on your truck. When it was mated onto a IDI diesel, it was sort of a oddball. It controls the transmission only, and in all other applications it controls the engine and the transmission.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '89 F-350 idi., any Idea where I could find those plugs?
another thing that might have helped causing my troubles, is pulling a big trailer over steep mountain passes, not beeing aware that i need to push the OD button in such a case?

but anyway, he had some rpm hunting problems before as well, the truck had stood a lot of it's life, it has only 10.128 miles now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a '89 F-350 idi., any Idea where I could find those plugs?
They are located on the driver's side close to the firewall. In between the fender and the brake booster. From the factory, they are attached to the inside of the fender. Yours may or may not still be attached. You do need both plugs, the big and the little one. IIRC, the small plug is a ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online