How to fix common problem of idi fuel draining back

John Preston

Reaction score
Every ford idi diesel I had (3) had the same problem when it sits a day you start it and it shuts off right away because the fuel drains down. And you have to crank and crank to get it going. Ifinially took my tank off and it's the one way valve at the end of pick up line where it needs to be to prevent line from draining. Of course the auto stores were unable to get the part so I shopped at Ace hardware and found I fuel priming bulb with one way check valve. I was debating if I should take apart and just use check valve but decided to just put the whole thing in lol. I used it to prime it right off the bat and stayed running. The next day it also stayed running. Now when I run out of fuel on interestate I can crawl underneath, take sending unit out (I have it in half asssed) and squeeze primer until it comes out tire valve. (I also carry 5 gal jug diesel) . Otherwise it seems it's a predicament I can't get fuel pumped up for the life of me cranking and cranking until battieries dead.

You must be registered for see images attach

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a check valve in the tank tho still tho right?

No check valve. Do you have any fuel leaks on top of the engine? Or anywhere at all? Post pics...
The return system if leaking, will leak fuel when running and then when not running will allow air back into the system, resulting in the fuel draining back into the tank and you temporarily lose prime.

There is a check valve on the return system at the filter head. I replaced mine but you can cap it off, they are around $20

https://oregonfuelinjection.com/sho...4-6-9-7-3-l-idi/filter-check-valve-92-94-7-3/

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a kinda check valve in the fuel tank. It looks similar to a pinched off rubber hose at the end of the return tube

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a kinda check valve in the fuel tank. It looks similar to a pinched off rubber hose at the end of the return tube

Forgot about that... however I dont think that has anything to do with losing prime?

John Preston

Reaction score
Mine looked like this but the screen and what I thought was a check valve was disinegrated and cracked. I was going to take a picture of mine (but can't remember where I put it because of all-timers) it has like an orange needle I thought was a one way valve. Hopefully my ace outfit will work ok because now it does have a check valve (it is very lightly spring loaded)

John Preston

Reaction score
I found the original piece that was intake. Don't understand why it has an inlet/outlet on both ends. I believe the pick up screen would go on big dia. Which would make it a check valve?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Neither one is really a check valve.
The one on the pickup screen is incase the screen gets clogged, via trash in the tank or possible gelling in winter. Still allows it to pull fuel.
The duckbill on the return helps prevent the system from draining back, but with a tight fuel system, it isn't always needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I replaced o-rings in the fuel heater. I miss the electric pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online