How much to rebuild the e4OD

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes. Same trans. Just make sure it was behind a diesel and in front of a t-case. A 2wd one will do you no good

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you are out of dough and need the truck to make money, I'd see if you can find a decent (read works in a running truck) used E4OD to swap in now, and then do the research, save your clams and have your original trans gone through completely.

I hate doing a job twice, but sometimes there's a short and long term goal.

Just my .02, good luck to you.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank all of you for the replies! Yes, this trans is done. It completely quit doing it's job. I hit the pedal to leave a stop light, it started to move......and just proceeded to rev up with a metalic zing. I was able to coast off the road, but no forward or reverse gears. After sitting a while it moved a little at an idle, but as soon as I hit the go pedal....ziiiiing! Fluid is black as night and smells burnt....bad!

Funny thing is, I checked the fluid a week or two before and it looked nice and red and didn't smell bad. It had a little bit of a shudder going on if I pushed the go pedal too hard, so I just took her easy.
With the big tires and lift kit it makes a lot of noise and rides rough as a cobb. The noise and rough ride mask minor symptoms sometimes then when you notice it's a big deal. Thanks again for the replies.

if you replaced the converter as soon as you felt she was shuttering,you probably would still have a trans today.
not trying to make you feel bad when your down on your luck right now.just fyi for next time.
what happened was,the converter likely flew apart and destroyed the trans.
shuttering at first was your symptom of a failing converter.
the "zing" type noise,burnt fluid,and lack of movement is the result of her completely failing.

how many miles did this trans have on it?

CGBear

Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think of that HDXLT. Thanks for reminding me though. Trans had about 10k on it since being rebuilt. I found a used e4od trans last night half way up Wisconsin. It looked good so I brought it home. It's got a new converter too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online