How much to rebuild the e4OD

CGBear

Reaction score
Mine's toast! I've got the trans out of the truck and I'm wondering what's worse...the cost to rebuild this e4od......or the pain in the rear of swapping in a c6. The more I look at the two trans and transfer case assemblies side by side the more of a pain it looks to be. Linkages, driveshafts and 4wd lever etc. I am poor right now, and looks to not really get better till spring. This truck makes me money and I need to get her online again soon.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who works at the Ford dealer shop, and has his own shop on the side. He recommends buying a Ford rebuilt E4OD tranny. He says Ford automatically installs all the upgrades that came after 95 in all their rebuilds, and you get a great warranty at a good price.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can have it biult with those same upgrades for half of a ford rebuild.

sootman73

Reaction score
Do a search on here about my trans troubles with the E4OD rebuilding. Go to someone that has many many years of experience. the old guy is best. You'd think they are slow or expensive but the younger guy that I went to took 6months to get my trans back to me and then it only lasted 6600 miles. He then warrantied the trans and had another shop rebuild it(the old experienced man) he did it in three days and it worked perfect even for having a really messed up valvebody in it.

Note-also put in the Transgo Tugger shift kit its so much nicer.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what was the E40D's symptom(s) before you pulled it? positive it was a mechanical failure right?
down on your luck right now sucks,ain't that the way it always goes.somethings got to happen when your down to your last dollar.
you could slap a C6 in her for now to get ya by if ya have to,but ugg.you can't find a donor truck cheap or just a used E40D locally for now? you'd be further ahead if you could just find a used zf5,but that's not exactly cheap either.
id be hunting for a used diesel 4wd e40d really hard.likely no easy task there.

edit,
when the time comes.ask these guys about their warranty:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2687727651.html
and if you can swing the extra when you get back in some $ in the spring,try and go with the triple HD converter.

double edit,
but be very careful before swapping this trans.a many E40D has been replaced needlessly.you know what happens when they replace a misdiagnosed E40D failure?....same exactly symptoms with the fresh trans because it was simply an electrical failure that then had to be addressed anyway.
correct diagnoses of this trans is vital to your wallet.;)

triple edit lmao;
keep your eyes on this........just in case:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53025

Last edited:

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Might have all that is. Needed to do the c6 swap. I'll talk to my grind that has it

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the early ones like mine cost more to rebuild, there was something with a center bearing support in the case that was inadequate, and that part needed replacing. Later ones shouldn't have that problem. I paid around 2K for a rebuild with a bit of beefing up. Seems to be doing fine.
JwS

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Depending on the amount of updates that are needed and what you want the tranny to do.

$1000 to about $3500 clams to rebuild the E4OD.

The heavy duty or extreme rebuilds will be on the high end of the scale. This type of rebuild will be all new parts. Steels, frictions, seals, gear train ect.

The basic parts recycle rebuild will be the low end. The will be frictions and seals, some updates. Many of the old parts will be tossed back into the tranny.:eek: It will get you by if you don't beat on it.:D

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans

I know a guy who works at the Ford dealer shop, and has his own shop on the side. He recommends buying a Ford rebuilt E4OD tranny. He says Ford automatically installs all the upgrades that came after 95 in all their rebuilds, and you get a great warranty at a good price.

That is what Id buy... a ford. Comes with a 2 year warranty...unlimited mileage. Unless you can get a rebuilt one for $1000 and get a decent warranty. I couldnt find a rebuilder in my area for under $1,700 and nothing more than a 90 day warranty.

CGBear

Reaction score
Thank all of you for the replies! Yes, this trans is done. It completely quit doing it's job. I hit the pedal to leave a stop light, it started to move......and just proceeded to rev up with a metalic zing. I was able to coast off the road, but no forward or reverse gears. After sitting a while it moved a little at an idle, but as soon as I hit the go pedal....ziiiiing! Fluid is black as night and smells burnt....bad!

Funny thing is, I checked the fluid a week or two before and it looked nice and red and didn't smell bad. It had a little bit of a shudder going on if I pushed the go pedal too hard, so I just took her easy.
With the big tires and lift kit it makes a lot of noise and rides rough as a cobb. The noise and rough ride mask minor symptoms sometimes then when you notice it's a big deal. Thanks again for the replies.

CGBear

Reaction score
Is a 92 e4od the same as the 93 e4od in my truck? I found one cheap, but it's a little more than 100 miles away.