How many AMPS does a 6.9l IDI's alternator put out?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very true. my towtrucks have the 100a modded to 130a with a low rpm cut-in and they barely keep up with the lights.

I have the same old factory alternator that was on the 6.9, with un-telling how many hundreds of thousands of miles on it.

It is whatever size that everyone I have ever seen on a Ford diesel is.

Don't get me wrong; I would like to have a big Leece-Neville, or some-such dynamo-type unit; BUT, my truck alone has well over fifty markers, along with Silverstars, fogs, floods, and spots, and enough copper wire and electrical goodies to be a load by themselves, and I have never ever felt that the alternator was not up to the task.

I can turn on every light on truck and trailer (probably 80 to 100 markers on the trailer), let the engine idle, and the headlights will be bright as ever.

I believe those trucks that the lights brighten in relation to engine RPM have more wrong than a wimpy alternator.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; I would like to have a big Leece-Neville, or some-such dynamo-type unit; BUT, my truck alone has well over fifty markers, along with Silverstars, fogs, floods, and spots

QUOTE]

Holy Schnikeys! 50 marker lights: people must really see you coming :yell:

I agree with your take on headlights being a good tell tale sign of your charging system.

You need to post a pic of your truck with all the lights on at night:cool

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had a 100A on my 7.3 until it took a dump 2 weeks ago, now I have a used 70A on it from a 6.9 and it actually peaked at 85A when I had it checked before I installed it.