How long to start after IP Replaced

scjarena

Reaction score
I was having trouble with my injector pump so I try one a guy I know let me borrow until I can decide whether to get one rebuilt or not. Anyways, he said it came off a running truck, been sitting on a shelf for a few months. Anyways, put it on and it sure seems like its taking a long time to shoot any fuel out of the slight cracked open connections at the injectors. I'm far from a diesel expert, but is there a way to check to see if the fuel solenoid is working? I'm getting 12 V at it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Putting the throttle to the floor helps purge the air faster when you are cranking it, since it makes the IP open fully up to deliver more fuel like when you are driving. Just be ready to let go when the engine begins to fire. My RV has fuel drain back (air intrusion?) when the nose is up a slope, and doing that helps it start up sooner with less cranking than when I used to crank it without pressing the throttle at all.

Regarding the solenoid, turn the key, then go unplug the solenoid wire connector and see if it clicks off and on when you connect and disconnect it, you'll hear a loud click if it's working.

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can always give it a little bit of ether to kickstart bleeding lines

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Both suggestions are good options. Be careful not to use too much ether bunny. When I've changed IP's I have all lines at least two full turns loose, max throttle, and crank.
Even if you have 12v at the pump, verify you still hear the solenoid clicking too. No clicky is no fuelly.

scjarena

Reaction score
I've been cranking it with the throttle open now. The solenoid does click. I've pulled the IP on this truck before, just don't remember it taking as long to start, but then again, there may have already been some fuel in it and the lines.

Still no luck. getting fuel at the schrader valve. I don't get it, I don't have a drop of fuel coming out anywhere. Guy said it came off a running truck, but who knows now at this point. I'm at a loss here. I about ready to take that POS off, maybe chuck the driving of the IP in my lathe, run fuel in it, 12V and see if will pump fuel.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible the metering valve is stuck from sitting. I don't remember the exact location of it so hopefully someone will chime in. Should be easy to check, just have to take the cover off the top and see. I've heard of a few people having issues with that on used pumps or trucks that have been sitting for years.

I believe the metering valve is what the fuel shutoff solenoid pushes closed but don't quote me on that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've been cranking it with the throttle open now. The solenoid does click. I've pulled the IP on this truck before, just don't remember it taking as long to start, but then again, there may have already been some fuel in it and the lines.

Still no luck. getting fuel at the schrader valve. I don't get it, I don't have a drop of fuel coming out anywhere. Guy said it came off a running truck, but who knows now at this point. I'm at a loss here. I about ready to take that POS off, maybe chuck the driving of the IP in my lathe, run fuel in it, 12V and see if will pump fuel.
So did you open the injector lines more like Nero said? If they are just barely open, then it will take a long time to get all of the air out so that fuel can get into the lines.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you open the injector lines more like Nero said? If they are just barely open, then it will take a long time to get all of the air out so that fuel can get into the lines.
Oh, come on, you know these mystery novels don't have endings! He got it running and went to Burger King and Walmart and hasn't even considered telling us what happened.

scjarena

Reaction score
Oh, come on, you know these mystery novels don't have endings! He got it running and went to Burger King and Walmart and hasn't even considered telling us what happened.
I won't leave you hanging like a cheap Netflix show, let me finish my Whopper and I'll let you know what happens. Actually I'll work on it tomorrow.

I'm going to try what chillman mentioned about the metering valve possibly being stuck. I'm going to pull the top cover and see what I can find.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't leave you hanging like a cheap Netflix show, let me finish my Whopper and I'll let you know what happens. Actually I'll work on it tomorrow.

I'm going to try what chillman mentioned about the metering valve possibly being stuck. I'm going to pull the top cover and see what I can find.
To be continued.....

scjarena

Reaction score
Pulled the cover, of course I had to have one with corroded top screws. Was very careful, used only a 1/4 driver handle and one still snapped one off. This was after soaking them with kroil a couple hours. I cut the head off the other to leave something to work with. Anyways, the metering valve moves freely and wasn't stuck in the off position. The fuel level only was as high in the picture, so thats not right. Maybe some crud got in the inlet while it was on the shelf. Sometimes we have mud daubers that will plug stuff up, but I didn't see anything on it. Bench tested the solenoid with 12V and it is working perfect. I was quoted $1100 for one rebuilt one from a shop in Houston. Anyone have a good deal on one in my area? I could still salvage this one, I could get the screws out, but still need to figure out why this isn't filling up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
How is the check valve on the back of the pump cover? Is it plugged or not relieving?
Classic diesel designs has stock pumps for $999.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The fuel retune line on the back of the pump. The 90 degree fitting has a check valve in it, it could be stuck shut or full of crud.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the cover is still off, fill it with ATF/Acetone mix. Should eat anything plugging up the pump after it sits and then with some cranking.