How long to Glow Plugs Last

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. So I when I purchased my van I replaced all 8 of the glow plugs with the correct Motorcraft/Beru ZD 9. The previous owner had already replaced the controller.

So everything was working well until this summer. I noticed that sometimes the WTS light would come on for the 10+ seconds like it is supposed to and other times it would barely even blink. On the times when it would just blink I would turn the key to the off position and then back to the on position and the WTS light would stay on for the 10+ second. I though the behavior might of had something to do with the fact that it was hot out, but now it has cooled down and the behavior is continuing.

My first thought was that there was something wrong with the GP controller since the issue was intermittent and did not follow any pattern. I have purchased a new controller and plan on installing it this weekend. The GP's are 2 years old and have about 40k miles on them. How long do they usually last? Should I plan on replacing them as well? Does it sound like the behavior is the GP controller, or should I look elsewhere?

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my dad's 6.9 I've replaced them every 2-3 years for him. He only drives the truck on weekend's.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can last years, but they can also burn out in seconds especially with a bad controller. I would do the push button mod and return the controller. Cheap, simple mod and it makes the glow plug system near bullet proof. One less electronic part to fail.
BTW, I picked up one of the u-haul motors last winter and finally got it running in Aug. I had to replace the glow plug already but they were wellman not dz-9's

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm sure about the ford controllers but the benz controllers would sence how many plugs were burned out and quit working at all once 2 plugs died.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine you have the same problem I had; Poor electrical connections on the glowplugs. I was having the same problem. I pulled all the connectors off each glowplug, checked them, they are all good. Go back in and try it, everything is now working fine. 2 weeks later it starts doing the same thing. I go through the same routine again, and then same thing happens. I am getting suspicious now, so after a couple of weeks when it starts happening again, I just go out and pull each connector off each glowplug, put it back on, and go in and try it. Sure enough, it's working again. A little bit of resistance in the glowplug circuit will fool the controller and make it shut off too early.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard the same results. There are trucks out there still running the factory glow plugs and controller and have never had an issue. I have seen posts that they can't keep the glowplugs working a week.

The 6.9 controller that screws into the back of the drivers side head is a simple controller. However when it fails, it normally fails ON. Which, powers the plugs constantly until they burn up. There is a replacement out there for the 6.9 that works more like the 7.3 controller. Have not heard much about them though.

The 7.3 controller that is on the rear of the intake, or relocated if a turbo kit has relocated it, is a more complex controller. It actually senses the current draw across the plugs to gauge how hot they are. The compare the voltage to the plugs, to that across the Zig-Zag metal strip on the controller. When these fail, they fail safe, or off. Which is good and bad, you do not burn up plugs, but if you have a failed plug or two, you get the short cycle and no start. I have not seen anything "official" many on here have seen the factory controller seems to work best with the Motorcraft/Beru plugs. Not the no swelling/breaking, but seem to work more reliably with the controller, they have more consistent results. Others have used other brands and styles with mixed results. Some good, some bad.

There are other options for plugs, not stock plugs. There are the Wellmans that are supposed to be self regulating. I have heard mixed results. Trav used them and I don't remember him saying anything bad about them. Others have used the AC/Delco plugs for the 5.7L diesel. These are a 12 volt plug rather than a 6 volt plug. Remember, the factory plugs are a 6 volt constant rated plug that has ~12 volts applied to them so they heat up fast, which makes the WTS Cycle shorter. The advantage the AC 12 Volt plugs, is you could turn them on with a switch and leave them on and they should not burn up since they are designed to have 12 Volts applied to them. Bad thing is, it takes them much longer to heat up, and you have to use a manual setup. Trav used these for a time in his current truck (86 6.9 Dually), and when it was cold, it would take almost a minute (a real 60 second minute) for the plugs to be hot enough to start the truck. I think for a time when he had these, he actually put an on/off switch on them instead of a momentary switch because they had to be on so long. Now, he has gone back to ZD-1 Berus and a momentary push button.

Other factors that can limit plug life is physical damage. Highly advanced timing can EAT glow plugs. One member on her who has a Mercedes diesel advanced the pump 5 degrees because he was running WMO. He would have the glow plugs starting to be eaten within the first day of them being installed. He backed the timing off, and the glow plug damage stopped.

Now, fast forward to the newer computer controlled trucks. The PSD's. These actually have a true intelligent controller, that are run by the computer. These trucks seem to last much longer. On my 03 6.0, it runs Motorcraft ZD-12 plugs. They are still the factory plugs at 137,000 miles. They are more carefully controlled, and if one fails, it will set a Check Engine light, and report to the ECM what plug is bad. I have not read on the newer truck owners going through glow plugs like the older diesels.

I would say, if everything is in good working order. The controller is in good shape, the truck start well, and the batteries are in good shape, and the truck is in the proper timing range, they should last for a fairly long time. No necessarily "forever" as they do wear, but they should last longer than a day or a week. One thing most people do, and I recommend this also. If the plugs are "old" or have a lot of miles on them. If one fails, replace them all. They are all the same age, and have seen the same conditions. I have a co-worker with a Duramax, and he was looking for a glow plug earlier this week because one went out and set a CEL. This is the second one he's had to replace. I feel if he had done all of them while he was in there, he would not be doubling his work, because they would all have been new. On my truck, when one eventually goes, I will buy 8 Motorcraft ZD-12's and replace them all. The remaining "good" ones will go in the tool box for spares...... Fortunately for me on the 6.0, they moved the glow plugs back outside and can be access by just removing the glow plug buss bar, and remove the plugs. They are not under the valve covers like the 7.3PSD is. I would defiantly replace all 8, or at least the 4 under the valve cover I had to open, and I would more than likely replace the valve cover gasket and wiring harness under there too, especially if everything had been on there for awhile.......

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I ran a switch to my factory controller so it only activates when I want it to. In the on position, the controller will function as normal, or I can deactivate it completely. I figure it extends the life of the plugs and controller considerably only getting used once or twice a day instead of multiple times.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am going to replace the controller tomorrow and clean up all the connections/grounds. If that doesn't work I will probably end up doing the push button mod on it to bypass the controller.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a switch to my factory controller so it only activates when I want it to. In the on position, the controller will function as normal, or I can deactivate it completely. I figure it extends the life of the plugs and controller considerably only getting used once or twice a day instead of multiple times.

it wont.it's solid state.very low failure rate.she'll fail due to age and corrosion before getting worn out either way still.