How long do you leave your block heater plugged in?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Takes about 60-90 minutes to make a flawless start. 8 seconds on the glow plugs and var00m. Thinking of getting a magnetic pad heater for my waste oil tank, or maybe one of the recirculating coolant heaters.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now is the time to buy a timer. They are everywhere for christmas lights. I just bought one that is good for 15 amps for $7. Got it at a grocery store. Its a 24 hour mechanical timer that can be set to come on and off as needed.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i got a receptical in the front of my house that my dad wired to a heavy duty water heater 220v timer...he just came off it with one leg of 110v and used it for xmas lights back in the day...

it works great for the block heater in my truck....on about 2hours before i leave and i got heat pretty durn quick..

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Digital timer here, 2hrs is all it needs. I don't plug mine into the GFI plugs either - they kick out too easy in crappy weather. I run my cords inside under the garage door.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess when I say "started rough" I just mean it took some extra cranking. I'm not all that used to a diesel yet ;) I dunno how old the batteries are in this truck but it cranks just fine.

Anyway, I found a really nice digital timer at lowe's that was on closeout for $10. It's nice, you can set 7 different programs, you can set what days you want the program to run (for example, I have mine set to run only on weekdays, 6:45 AM-8:45 AM)

My place has no external outlets so I just run an extension cord under the garage door. Also keep a cord in my truck so that I can plug it in out here at work this winter (I'll probably need it sometime)

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
It's like leaving at least 10 one hundred watt bulbs on all night.:D ;Sweet

Heath

The block heaters pull 1,000 watts per hour (which is ten 100W bulbs). Our electric company here charges per kilowatt (1,000 watts) and the rate varies based on usage. Based on our usage, we get charged .041 cents per kilowatt. So it costs me just barely over .04/hour to use my block heater. If I leave it on all day and night, it'd cost me $.98 for the full 24 hours. I leave mine plugged in all night on the colder nights (below 30 degrees).

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Something's not right if your truck is having a hard time starting at those temps, it should start easy. Is it turning over fast?

Another option is the "gear reduction starter". I have one installed on my F350. It's half the size and weight, yet turns the truck over twice as fast. With two newer batteries and that starter, my truck starts with no problems.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any good electrical supplier will have them. Besides that, any Lowes or Home Depot should have something rated for that kind of wattage.

Yes, any household timer will work. Our block heaters are 1,000 watts and any store bought timer is usually rated for 1800 watts.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that you get a timer rated for at least 1200watts. Cheap timers are a fire waiting to happen.
What I did in my house is wire up an Intermatic T101 to a recepticle by my truck. I give the truck anout 3 hours and the Focus about 30 minutes;Sweet
Ken

I forgot to mention that the better outdoor timers will have a three prong setup that will be needed for our application, alot of the cheaper timers are only two prong.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I will have to find the site again. I'll also check with a few parts places and see if they can track one down. It set me back about $190 (the HD original starter at NAPA was almost $280).

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was all excited about using my block heater this winter so I wouldnt have to freeze to death half way to work but, my wife said "thats stupid, maybe if we lived in Alaska but not in Las Vegas!".....So much for that one.:dunno

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont the block heaters have a thermostat built into them? I thought once they got warmed up it just maintained the temp, like 80* or somethin like that. I used to leave it pluged in all night at my old place but I have a timer now since I dont trust the 100year old wiring in the barn/shed.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Block heaters also reduce the stress on the engine and increase it's longevity as a result. It can get pretty cold in the desert overnight. There's good reason to use a block heater in any case.

I was all excited about using my block heater this winter so I wouldnt have to freeze to death half way to work but, my wife said "thats stupid, maybe if we lived in Alaska but not in Las Vegas!".....So much for that one.:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online